Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
b9r
should I give up bf?
by b9r
September 23, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I am a new mom.  My daughter is 4 weeks old.  Her first 2 weeks of life she lost almost a full pound.  Pediatrician told me to start supplementing after feeds and to drink more to increase my milk supply.  Did this for a week, she was taking 2 oz of formula after bf for 1/2 hour.  In 1 week her weight went from 7# 2 oz to 7# 14.5 oz.  I had also rented a hospital grade pump and started to take fenugreek.  was pumping out about an ounce to ounce and a  half after feeds.  dod had me bf for 15 minutes on 1 said and reweighed her after and her wieght went up 2 oz. so he told me to cut the supplements back to only during the night.  We were doing fine with that for a couple of days,however the last 2 days she has been extremely fussy after her feeds, always crying and acting hungry after her feeds and now I am only pumping out about 1/2 ounce after feeds.  I haven't changed anything else.  My baby is not happy, and I am not sleeping.  I don't understand what has gone wrong over the last 2 days.  I am getting so frustrated that I am ready to give up all together.  Any suggestions on what could be going on?  I really don't want to stop but I want her happy and healthy.

Replies

• Bren07
    by Bren07
    September 23, 2009 at 5:41 PM

if shes acting hungry put her back to the breast..ur suppy will increase in a few days after the constant feedings...

oh and ps u will feel like ur doing nothing but feeding ur LO but this is ok. it will levelo out and she will get better at nursing and ur supply will increase. right now she is proably going through a growth spurt...my son did this. i felt like i was doing nothing but feeding him, and having a 2yr old too it was horrible..but eventually my supply caught up to how he was eating...

• preacherskid
    September 23, 2009 at 5:41 PM

i think i spent the first three months with my baby girl attached to my breast:)  seriously, it's good that your lo acts like that.  it means she is growing and she is telling your body to step up the production.  it will get better, and you might sleep eventually;)  my advice: co sleep if you are comfortable doing so- it makes night nursing easier, nap when (or if) she does, feed her as often and as much as she wants- demand feeding helps increase supply more quickly and easily than a schedule, and get rid of the clocks- if she is still hungry after nursing on both sides, put her back on the first side until she seems satisfied.  hang in there, it really does get better!

• LeanneC
    by LeanneC
    September 23, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Sounds like a growth spurt. Are you still supplementing?  Stop... just nurse, especially at night because you need to rest. 

Watch diapers.  If she's making at least 6 a day, she's getting plenty of milk... she's just growing and trying to increase your supply to meet her new needs.  It will pass in a few days!

• Kristin216
    September 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I am not a professional or an expert, but I would say to keep putting her to the breast, that is the good way to increase supply. Also weight gain has little to do with it. How many diapers are you changing a day? As long as it is 6-8 you are okay. Also try oats to increase supply if you still think that is an issue. As far as not sleeping, it could be a growth spurt or developmental spurt. Hang in there! From a mom with previous bfing issues, you must be confident in yourself and your body, it will take care of your little one.

• ChazznRoccosmom
    September 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I agree with the other ladies. Just nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse. For the first few months that was all I got done. Hell, he's a year old and that's still about all I do :) If you do any supplementing at all, it needs to be with a supplemental nurser instead of a bottle.

• star33
    by star33
    September 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM

don't give up. i nursed on demand. at times it did seem as if that's all i did. it will get better.if the supplement works keep doing that too.

• b9r
    by b9r
    September 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM

thanks everyone... i truly thought something was wrong and was about to lose my mind.

• gdiamante
    September 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    Quoting b9r:

I am a new mom.  My daughter is 4 weeks old.  Her first 2 weeks of life she lost almost a full pound.

Which may well have been normal loss for her...depending on where she started. Ten percent loss, although that normally happens in the first week.

Pediatrician told me to start supplementing after feeds

NOT NEEDED.

and to drink more to increase my milk supply.

THAT was correct. 64 ounces fluid per day.

Did this for a week, she was taking 2 oz of formula after bf for 1/2 hour.  In 1 week her weight went from 7# 2 oz to 7# 14.5 oz. 

Holy moly. That's actually...well almost too much ghain. 4-6 ounces a week is all we want...more will make her too heavy too soon. You can dump the formula.

I had also rented a hospital grade pump and started to take fenugreek.  was pumping out about an ounce to ounce and a  half after feeds. 

Excellent.

dod had me bf for 15 minutes on 1 said and reweighed her after and her wieght went up 2 oz. so he told me to cut the supplements back to only during the night. 

OK. I'd have dumped them entirely.

We were doing fine with that for a couple of days,however the last 2 days she has been extremely fussy after her feeds, always crying and acting hungry after her feeds

Normal normal normal! Don't look for happy. Happy babies aren't normal. **grin**

and now I am only pumping out about 1/2 ounce after feeds. 

That's fine. Pump output means nothing anyway.

I haven't changed anything else.  My baby is not happy, and I am not sleeping. 

Both of which are normal conditions that theyt don't tell women about. I think they're afraid we'd refuse to reproduce if they did.

I don't understand what has gone wrong over the last 2 days.  I am getting so frustrated that I am ready to give up all together.  Any suggestions on what could be going on?  I really don't want to stop but I want her happy and healthy.

Happy? Your job will NEVER be to make her happy, OK? Trust me on this...if you're not the meanest mommy in the world a dozen times a day, you're doing it wrong! **grin**

What went "wrong" was that no one ever told you all of this was normal! Because it is. Go with it, nurse on demand with no timing and follow the baby's cues. You're doing SO much better than you think you are.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN