Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
cainjes
Help With Biting
by cainjes
September 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I have read the ENTIRE 177 posts in When Babies Attack...none suit my situation.

When I offer the breast, Lily bites me and turns away. All day yesterday she did that. She went 6 hours without eating! I'm engorged. She hasn't had any solids. She should be hungry. She isn't biting in the middle of a feeding or the end. She's biting instead of latching.

I don't know what to do! I'm afraid to offer! I don't know how to teach her that it's wrong to bite me.

Help! Please...I want to nurse AT LEAST one year...hopefully two.

She's not even 8 months old yet.

Replies

• gdiamante
    September 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Sounds like she might be teething. Try some teething tablets first. Or orajel.

• cainjes
    by cainjes
    September 11, 2009 at 4:27 PM

She doesn't have ANY other signs of teething though. She does have one tooth, so I kinda know what to look for like diarrhea, sleeplessness, gnawing on everything, excessive drool.

She isn't doing any of that. Just biting me. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in pain at all.

We're not big on baby meds. She doesn't even get tylenol with her shots...and she doesn't cry.

• gdiamante
    September 11, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    Quoting cainjes:

She doesn't have ANY other signs of teething though. She does have one tooth, so I kinda know what to look for like diarrhea, sleeplessness, gnawing on everything, excessive drool.

She isn't doing any of that. Just biting me. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in pain at all.

We're not big on baby meds. She doesn't even get tylenol with her shots...and she doesn't cry.

I truly don't know what to suggest beyond putting her down and walking away for a few minutes each time she bites. Without fail. A bite is instant banishment to the play yard or someplace where she is not being held by you.

• michelepulley
    September 12, 2009 at 9:01 AM

She's teething.  Give her some tylenol and when the pain goes away she will eat.  I always freak out when he doesnt want to nurse on the schedule but I always realize that he will eat when he's hungry.  We dont always eat at the same times every day.  Sometimes we eat more one day, less the next.  Babies are the same.  Just pump if you are engored. 

• Emschick38
    September 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I agree that she might be teething. Every tooth comes in differently. one may be really painfull and cause a fever and runny nose and the next one may come in without any symptoms at all

If you dont like givinng her meds, ho do you feel about all natural treatments? I give my kids natural over meds any day. I used Humphrys teething tablets any time she was fussy with teething and they worked really well. you could also try hyghlands brand cause they are natural as well.

As far as the biting goes you could try flicking her cheek or pushing on the jaw joint to make her stop. dont do it to hurt her just to let her know what she is doing is bad

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts