Breastfeeding Moms

Proudmama2009
random question..
September 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I have a really random question.. I am 29 weeks pregnant.. My husbands cousin told me if I'm planning on breastfeeding that I can "pump" now and freeze it so I will have alot by the time the baby is here.. I was wondering if you really can/supose to pump when your pregnant.. I've never heard of it.. So could someone feel me in with this.. I am really wanting to breast feed this baby (i didn't get to with my daughter) and I just didn't know you could start this early.??Any information?

Replies

• aehanrahan
    September 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM

All you have now is colostrum and it is really hard to pump out.  There is no need to pump before the baby arrives.  If you need to pump to go back to work, you can start after your milk comes in and you have established a good nursing relationship with your baby.   

• clairewait
    September 2, 2009 at 12:39 PM

NO!  Don't pump now... for one you could send yourself into an early labor.  When you breastfeed, it causes your body to release oxytocin, the hormone responsible for uterine contractions (the point is to shrink your uterus back to normal AFTER delivery).  It would be a bad idea to start before you need to.  Just let nature do her thing.  You can worry about storing up milk when it's time.

• piwife
    by piwife
    September 2, 2009 at 12:45 PM

NOOO SHE IS WRONG!! PLUS IT CAN CUASED YOU TO GO INTO LABOR

• Mena929
    by Mena929
    September 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

All PP's are correct, DO NOT TRY TO PUMP NOW!!!!

Breastfeeding Moms