Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
LittlePNut
Slow Let Down...at least according to my son.
August 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM

hi all,

So my son was in NICU for a while and I've pumped, but now that he's bigger and at home, the Pedi said I can start BFing more.  The NICU Dr's wanted my son on fortified expressed milk and I was told to limit my BFing sessions.

Anyway now I'm really trying to BF more and my son is just not being patient enough to wait for my letdown.  He latches and looks up at me like "where's the milk lady?" and promptly starts screaming.  I keep trying to relax and such, but he gets so frustrated I end up giving up the entire process.  I REALLY want to BF and not have to pump so much.  I love the bonding time (when he allows for it).  Any suggestions or will this just come in time?

Replies

• katznkt
    by katznkt
    August 15, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Just stick with it. The more you bf and less formula you give your baby the better your supply will get and thus the quicker your letdown. 

Some things to try: a minute or two before you feed your baby, stop what you are doing and think about your baby. Think about him being hungry and visualize him eating like crazy. This will help trigger a let down so the milk is right there for your son.

Next, up your water and oatmeal intake. Both will create more milk. 

Good luck!

• Joie_momx2
    August 15, 2009 at 2:13 AM

I had problems with let down with my first.. until he cried... then I was like a super soaker! LOL... but crying triggers it.

• gdiamante
    August 15, 2009 at 2:29 AM

You might try a little pumping or hand expression before latching. Whatever you do, do NOT give bottles. Sorry, he has to learn to wait.

• LittlePNut
    August 15, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Thanks Everyone! I'll try it all. :)

Keep ya posted! 

About the crying lol, it's usually too late by the time the soaking begins.  haha he's already over it.

• ilyenakitty
    June 9, 2010 at 12:09 AM

I will try also. having the same problem with my son... he was in NICU and they fed him via tube until he got out.  since then i have had problems with him even wanting to suckle for his milk:(

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts