Breastfeeding Moms

christalo
tongue tied info needed
August 1, 2009 at 11:21 PM

My daughter is almost 3 weeks now and is almost at her birth weight finally.  I have had supply issues with all three of my children, but have been very diligent this time and I breastfeed, pump and then give her that breast milk every 2 hours religiously.  Today I was told that she is tongue tied and that is what is possibly causing my supply issues and her inability to get the milk from the breast herself.  She only gets 1/2oz from each breast when breastfeeding, then I am only able to pump 1-2oz after that.  The lactation consultant said it is located very sublingual.  She also said that having it clipped has only showed a successful change in breastfeeding 50% of the time.  I don't like those odds.  I wondered if any of you have been through this, is it possible that if I can get my supply better she will learn how to manipulate the breast or am I being too hopeful?  I started taking mothers milk blend(ick!) to try to increase my supply, but I just want to make sure there is not some information or tips/tricks that i am unaware of.  Thanks!

Replies

• gdiamante
    August 1, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Quoting christalo:

My daughter is almost 3 weeks now and is almost at her birth weight finally. 

Just FYI...some babies take as long as a month to regain birth weight. The bigger the baby, the longer it will take since the gain rate is 4-6 ounces weekly.

I have had supply issues with all three of my children, but have been very diligent this time and I breastfeed, pump and then give her that breast milk every 2 hours religiously.  Today I was told that she is tongue tied and that is what is possibly causing my supply issues and her inability to get the milk from the breast herself. 

OK. That's a pretty common issue.

She only gets 1/2oz from each breast when breastfeeding, then I am only able to pump 1-2oz after that. 

That's NOT an only. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know their stuff. Half an ounce to two ounces is NORMAL output WITHOUT having nursed first. You're overflowing there.

The lactation consultant said it is located very sublingual.  She also said that having it clipped has only showed a successful change in breastfeeding 50% of the time.  I don't like those odds.  I wondered if any of you have been through this, is it possible that if I can get my supply better she will learn how to manipulate the breast or am I being too hopeful?  I started taking mothers milk blend(ick!) to try to increase my supply, but I just want to make sure there is not some information or tips/tricks that i am unaware of.  Thanks!

Unless you are changing fewer than six diapers per day, you do NOT need to increase your supply. Your pump output is stunning. And the before/after weighing is a false read unless you do it EVERY SINGLE FEED for a couple of days and average it. No one eats the same amount at every meal.

If baby's tongue is heart-shaped, then she needs a clipping and YES, it will help. If it's not, the only thing you really need is a different LC, preferably IBCLC.

• neh57
    by neh57
    August 2, 2009 at 1:21 AM

the dr told me and showed me my son was tongue tied at birth.. he bf for 11 months & 2days . he has always been above 50% -75% on the growth chart.. and now @ 2yrs old he even says more words then what the ped.dr says is average for his age and we never had it cut.. he says over 90 words.. so i'd say unless ur child's tongue is tied more then mine, or starts to have weight issues or when starts to eat solids has problems or talking then i'd worry about it.  our dr told us and a dr at the hosp said most ppl born tongue tied grow out of it and never know or they grow and still have kinda heart shaped tongue but no problems.. the one ped told me she calls it the sweetheart tongue.. only god give sweethearts heart shaped tongues.. hope this is a help to u..

• Joie_momx2
    August 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM

My best friend's baby was born toungue tied. They told her that they didn't want to clip his toungue and only gave her the option to pump... I would not go to her Ped, but any ways, back to the story. The nurse at the hospital gave her a nipple shield and a pump. She pumped for about a month (until pumping started to hurt) and gave up on the breast feeding.  I wish she would have had a different nurse at the hospital and a different ped, but what is done is done. My advice would be to try, try, try again, and I wish you luck and hope you have encouragement at home and from your Ped.

• novembermommy79
    August 2, 2009 at 1:51 AM

My baby girl was born tongue-tied.  They did clip hers the day after she was born.  Hers was pretty bad and she did have trouble latching before it was clipped.  My pediatrician told me that we wouldn't really know if it would cause severe speech problems until she was atleast 3 and then she would realize that the procedure was being done.   Anyway, I chose to have it done ultimately to ensure that she would not have to have it done when she was older and for it to cause her distress.  I was very hesitant that it would hurt her badly but right after they clipped hers, they brought her back to me and she wasn't even crying.  She nursed perfectly after that.  The decision is yours, I just wanted to share with you my experience.  Good luck with your little one.

,April

• christalo
    August 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Thank you so much for the info.  I knew there was hope...You cannot even tell that she is tongue tied by looking at her and she is able to stick her tongue out barely beyond the lower lip.  I am glad to hear that my pumping output isnt horrible like I was led to believe.  I will continue to keep trying with her and hope for the best as she does have plenty of wet.poopy diapers a day.  Thank you so much for the encouragement, I really needed it.

• gifford4ofus
    August 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM

You do NOT need to have it clipped!!!! I am tongue tied my dad is tongue tied we were both breastfed. I have 2 children they are both tongue tied. I nursed both of them.  The doctors wanted to clip my children and I refused. My father and I have lived our entire lives being tongue tied. To me that just makes us unique. I could not see the need to hurt my children for no reason.  Yes to begin with it does make it harder to get a good latch but you just work with the baby on that.  It had no effects on my milk supply. (I could feed the entire army with my milk supply LOL) Just keep trying momma.

Breastfeeding Moms