Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
myboysnme
pumping question
July 31, 2009 at 2:45 PM

so i just pumped for about 10 minutes. it had been a couple hours since babies last feeding.  i got 3 oz out of the left and 1.5 oz out of the right.  it's always like that.  the left always produces more.  why is that?  and should i do something to increase supply in the right?

Replies

• piwife
    by piwife
    July 31, 2009 at 2:48 PM

i know pumping 2oz is normal and is not s sign of supply problem. am weird i pump for 10 mts and get 6-8oz between both breast but again am weird.

• aehanrahan
    July 31, 2009 at 2:49 PM

It is completely normal for each breast to produce different amounts.  You don't need to do anything unless you want to.  By the way, that is A LOT of milk to get in one pumping session!  : D

• LKRA
    by LKRA
    July 31, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I have found that the breast I last used for nursing produces less when I pump.

In the mornings, if I nurse my daughter on the right before leaving for work, I will get six ounces from the left and about 3 ounces from the right. VERY lopsided. :)

Rest assured, though, that 1 to 2 ounces is the norm when pumping. You're doing just fine. To increase your supply, drink lots of water, eat oatmeal and take Fenugreek.

• nosborne
    August 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I've been pumping every workday for about the past 7 months, and I almost always pump 2x the amoount on my right side.  You will always have 1 side that produces less (generally the one least perfered by baby).  I did try to increase my left side a while back by pumping that side after DS nursed, but I never got it up much.  I gave up since I was producing enough without having that side increased.  It really was only because sometimes I was extremely lopsided. 

Now I just wear padded bras and the padding mostly evens me out.  LOL!!

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts