Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Moxies_Mommy
Nursing while pregnant
July 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I have a 15 month DD and am 9 weeks pregnant.  I'm still breastfeeding . . . alot.  Did any of you continue to nurse through the whole pregnancy or did your milk dry up and far along were you when it did?  Or did you toddler self wean when pregnant? 

Replies

• Amy614
    by Amy614
    July 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM

My DS was around 18 months when he self weaned.  I was almost 4 months preg., and still had plenty of milk for him, so I think it was just him deciding to be done.  I would have BF'd him through the whole preg. if he had wanted to, but... It became a moot point.

Mostly, make sure you are getting plenty of fluids (esp. water) and that you are eating well and enough to support all three of you.  I can't remember where I found it, but I know that there is a food pyramid for pregnant women and for BFing women; I am sure there is one for the mom who is both.   Maybe look that up, or contact LLL to find out about making sure you are getting enough of the right things to keep you healthy.

• Daisymae6
    July 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM

My son is 2.5 and I am due tomorrow. He is still nursing and has been throughout my pregnancy. I think my milk pretty much dried up somewhere between 3-7 months....i know that's a wide range but my son never really seemed to care i just realized i was no longer feeling the let-down anymore which i had always felt up until that point. just recently i'm pretty sure that i've started to produce colostrum because i've noticed that he has had much more explosive and messy poopies which is something that i was warned about ahead of time...colostrum acts as a sort of a laxative.  there is a group for pregnant or tandem nursers... check it out... there are lots of us who are doing one or both. :)

• Habibti812
    July 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    I am currently 4 mos. Pregnant with number 3!! My almost 16 month old still nurses a lot and I still. Have plenty of milk. I hope to tandem nurse once the new baby arrives :-)
  • Moxies_Mommy
    July 26, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Looks like we'll be tandem nursing!

• Moxies_Mommy
    July 26, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Thanks.  I joined the pregnant and tandem nursing group cuz it looks like we're headed that direction and I definately need support since everyone says now that I'm pregnant I need to wean her, but she is definately not ready.

• riotgrrl
    July 26, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I got pregnant at six months postpartum. I kept breastfeeding and would have tandem nursed but DD self-weaned in my last trimester at just over a year old. I had hoped to make it longer, but was happy to make it a year. Both she and my youngest are very happy and healthy and he was born at  8 1/2 lbs, so it certainly didn't impact his growth. It did affect my weight gain, I only gained 18 lbs during the entire pregnancy. I also had a lot of fatigue with my metabolism working for 3, but it was worth it. Drink plenty of water, take your prenatal, and make sure you get enough protein and calcium, and get as much rest as you can.

• westmoreland
    July 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM

My son weaned hisself when I entered my 3rd trimester of pregnancy. He was 21 months old. My milk didn't dry up and the Le Leche League said I could bf both kids if I wanted to.

• Doula_Mommy
    July 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I breastfed through my entire pregnancy. My milk dried up around 20 weeks but she did not stop nursing, shortly after that I started getting colostrum though.

And she's still nursing, I'm now nursing her 32 months and my newborn.

• jhally
    by jhally
    July 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

My daughter will be 18 months tomorrow and I'll be 34 weeks pregnant tomorrow.... and I'm still nursing!

I'm not sure she gets very much milk from me, but she likes to nurse for comfort.

I plan to tandem nurse if she still wants to after thr bsby's here.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

• Destiny13
    July 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

DD has not self weaned, and would be nursing still 5-7 times a day if I let her. She's nursing 1-3 times a day on average, and I'm due in a few days. I have no doubts that she will pick back up as soon as baby's born to about 7 ish times a day again.My milk never dried up, it did lessen a little, but then it started to build back up from being pregnant, so all is good. She is loving the colostrum now.

She's 16 months (See siggies).

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts