Breastfeeding Moms

MrsPettis
Organizing milk freezer bags
July 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I bought the Lansinoh bags for storage and was curious how to organize them once they are frozen flat. 

First Years makes an organizer but, the reviews say that these bags don't fit. 

Any ideas? 

Replies

• Optimistic101
    July 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I am all about organization and saving money so this is what I did. I simply bought the freezer safe ziplock bags. You get about 40 for about $4. Write the date and amount on the baggy, and then lay it flat in the freezer (make sure you get the air out). That way they freeze flat and you stack them up. It doesn't take up very much room, and this has worked great for us!

• mommaslilman06
    July 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM

i LOVE the laniosh bags (only ones ill use) and just stack them oldest to newest. ill find hubby going and grabbing the newer bags to use other than the older ones first so i need to find a way to organize them too someone posted this link earlier and im just getting around to watch the movie. hopefully it works!

ETA: finished the movie and defently something im gonna try out and cheap

http://greenlitebites.com/BreastMilk/

• Tarable525
    July 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM

i usually only had a days worth of milk frozen at a time so i just used a plastic bowl that they'd all fit into.  i would freeze them flat then put them on the side in the bowl, oldest from newest, then put the lid on.  i had a bowl that the gerber bags fit into perfectly.  you might also try going to somewhere like dollar store and seeing if you can find some plastic trays and keep them organized in that, just make sure that you put the new one's behind the old so that he grabs the new first.  you might also try one of the ice buckets that's made to sit in the door of the freezer and you empty your trays in to there.  i'm thinking one of those would hold a good number of bags.

• gabesmomma05
    July 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I just stack mine with the oldest on top and the newest on the bottom. I have one of those hanging baskets in my deep freeze that is just for milk.

• JenFunSniffer
    July 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I put all of the bags in a plastic shoe box (you can get them from the dollar store. It's about 6 inches wide and 12 inches long) in the deep freeze. My hubby also doesn't want my "titty juice" touching his food. I put the new ones in the front and take from the back. If any of the bags leak then the shoe box will catch it.

• pallavi16
    July 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Ditto ! this is exactly  what I did too...i had like 30 bags once !!! each with 5 oz of milk

Quoting Optimistic101:

I am all about organization and saving money so this is what I did. I simply bought the freezer safe ziplock bags. You get about 40 for about $4. Write the date and amount on the baggy, and then lay it flat in the freezer (make sure you get the air out). That way they freeze flat and you stack them up. It doesn't take up very much room, and this has worked great for us!

• MrsPettis
    July 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM

OMG... that was a GREAT idea.

I am going to look for a rubbermaid or plastic bin and cut a "dispensing slit" in the bottom.

• aenima49
    August 13, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I have been laying them flat on a flattened box in the freezer, then putting them upright in a little 4x4 box that's taped on the bottom & open on top.  I write on the tab upsidedown so I can read them.

• izaiahsmoma
    August 26, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Somebody posted a how to video from youtube awhile back.  The woman in the video used a gift bag, cut a slit in the bottom, taped around the slit, dropped the bags in, and stuck it in the freezer.

• MomofMiracle
    August 27, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Quoting JenFunSniffer:

I put all of the bags in a plastic shoe box (you can get them from the dollar store. It's about 6 inches wide and 12 inches long) in the deep freeze. My hubby also doesn't want my "titty juice" touching his food. I put the new ones in the front and take from the back. If any of the bags leak then the shoe box will catch it.

That's exactly what I do!  I bought a rubbermaid 6 qt (shoebox size) and keep it in the freezer with the oldest towards the front.  Once my bag is frozen flat, I add it to the back of the box.  My hubby knows to take the one closest to him so he's not digging.

Breastfeeding Moms