Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
beefgoddess
OUUUUCH!!!!
March 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM
My son has teeth, and unfortunately he uses them EVERYTIME he feeds. He has made me bleed and I'm in so much pain when he nurses. I hurt so bad that it hurts to even touch my nipple. Should I just bite my lip and work through the pain or pump on the painful side or should I even wean him?

Replies

• koehl7
    by koehl7
    March 29, 2007 at 7:00 PM
    The first time my baby boy bite, I just screamed NO really loud.  I also stepped away for a couple of minutes to show him, that he can not nurse after he bites me.  It only happen 2 times, and has not happen since about 2 months now!  Good luck!!
  • LBSLOTT
    by LBSLOTT
    March 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM
    I've heard (haven't gotten to that stage yet)  that if you give them a little tap on the cheek and a stern "No" they'll eventually learn to stop biting.  But like I said, I haven't reached this stage yet, so can't say for sure it works.
  • beefgoddess
    March 29, 2007 at 7:04 PM
    I don't think he realizes how much he uses his teeth because it's like he scrapes his teeth over the flesh over and over.
  • sara-gruntlings
    March 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM
    Ouch,t hat does sound painful.

Try pressing his face into your breast every time he scrapes his teeth. And make sure that he's open wide, as the teeth go into a funny position when the baby's mouth is open wide, and it minimizes the scraping. Just press down on his chin to make him open wider.
  • cali4niachef
    March 29, 2007 at 7:33 PM

every time he bites you, tell him NO firmly, if he does it after you have told him no i would end the nursing session and try again a little while. repeat.

• DRRich2007
    March 29, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Quoting sara-gruntlings:

Ouch,t hat does sound painful.

Try pressing his face into your breast every time he scrapes his teeth. And make sure that he's open wide, as the teeth go into a funny position when the baby's mouth is open wide, and it minimizes the scraping. Just press down on his chin to make him open wider.

I just got this same advice today from a mother who successfully nursed all four of her children!  I'm going to try it!  She said it may sound a little scary, but it does work.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts