Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
momof6705
anyone else have trouble w/ Avent Isis pump?
July 1, 2007 at 7:46 PM

I use the hospital grade electric pump at work and bring my own attachments.  So at home I got an Avent Isis hand pump.
Sometimes that thing works great.  I've had many times lately where I go to use it and it "tugs" a little at my breast and maybe pulls a couple of drops out, usually causes a let down but I can sit there and try and try to pump and it won't pump my breast efficiently enough to express the milk.  Since it has worked sometimes and not others I don't think it's the way I'm using it.  I've rechecked and made sure it's assembled correctly.  I'm so frustrated and I'm ready to throw the thing in the garbage.  I would never recommend this product to anyone!  I'm sitting here right now w/breasts that haven't been emptied since I pumped at work 11 hours ago, dd won't nurse, and I have nothing to express w/ unless I choose to drive to work and use the mother's room!  I tried to "hand express" and don't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing, they're still throbbing!

Replies

• MarigoldsMama
    July 1, 2007 at 7:52 PM
    I'm sorry you are having trouble!
    I had the same experience with the Avent Isis hand pump. It worked for me a couple of times if I was so full I was letting down already, but usually I had to pump and pump just to get 2 oz. It wasn't worth it to me and I gave up on bottles altogether.
    I'm sorry I don't have any advice... hang in there! Maybe if she gets hungry enough, your dd will nurse and relieve the pressure?
  • gdiamante
    July 2, 2007 at 1:12 AM

The only problems I had with the Isis were mechanical. First, the petal attachement was a nuisance. Getting rid of it helped.

Another problem I had was when the silicon diaphragm tore. I got a replacement and it worked beautifully after that.

• QueenHoneyB
    July 2, 2007 at 7:34 AM
    I"m sorry you're having trouble. Sounds painful! The Avent ISIS handpump is the only one that I use, and I don't have any problems. Is it losing its suction, is that why it won't let down? Because when that happens I unscrew the bottle and push lightly on that little white plug thingie to make sure it is in properly. Then when I reattach the bottle the suction is working and it pumps fine. Maybe you could try that if suction is the problem.
  • jokermomma
    July 2, 2007 at 12:43 PM
    try putting it together wet, it will seal better and you will get better suction