Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Jessbech
Curious about other 9mos.
February 7 at 6:48 AM
What is/was the length of your 9mo? My ds is still under 1st percentile and want to know if there are any moms with similar experience. I fear the worst even though I was told it could be nothing. Growth hormones checked out fine...thx.

Replies

• eagerforbaby
    February 7 at 6:59 AM
    If she is gaining and has always been in the 1st percentile I wouldn't worry. Aubrey was in the 5th from birth until 15 months when she jumped to the 15th. Try not to worry too much about percentiles.
  • mostlymaydays
    February 7 at 7:37 AM
    Both of my girls "fell off the charts" at 9 months. My older dd was tested so extensively and invasively and everything panned out fine so they didn't put my younger dd through that. Percentile charts don't measure health in any way; they only compare one child to another.
  • MusherMaggie
    February 7 at 9:12 AM
    Percentiles are largely useless. Every one can't be at, say, the 50th. Look at the other people on both sides of your child's family. If growth hormones are fine, diaper count is adequate, all is well. Remember that before the first birthday, breastmilk should be the main and major source of calories. Nursing comes immediately before any solids.
  • cp428
    by cp428
    February 7 at 9:25 AM

My DS just turned 9 months on the 3rd & we went for his checkup on Tuesday. He was only 4lbs 10oz at birth, so no one was really expecting him to be huge, even though he caught up pretty quickly in the first month or two. He was 16 lbs 8 oz and 26.5 in at his 9 month check up, which if I recall was around the 3rd or 4th percentile for both. Dr. wasn't concerned at all, she knows I just have small kids. In general I don't pay too much attention to percentiles and thankfully our ped doesn't either.

Was that a big drop for your DS or has he always been on the small end?

• tabi_cat1023
    February 7 at 9:28 AM

Everyones got to be somewhere ont he chart..my guys are like 1-5% in weight but 80-100 in height

• MommyO2-6631
    February 7 at 9:34 AM
    Correct and it bothers me when doctors say "Oh they're only in the fifth percentile, we need to fatten him up"... everyone has to be somewhere. If nobody was in the first percentile then that wouldn't be the first percentile LOL. Aiden was in the 45th at birth for weight and 75th for height. By nine months he was 13th for weight and 40th for height.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Everyones got to be somewhere ont he chart..my guys are like 1-5% in weight but 80-100 in height

• K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    February 7 at 10:36 AM
    Is he gaining consistently? Any ties or allergies? If he's gaining and there are no other issues, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • stepconfused182
    February 7 at 10:50 AM
    How many inches and lbs has he grown since birth?
  • Jessbech
    February 7 at 11:13 AM
    He was 19.5 at birth, 10th percentile. He then fell to below the 1st at 2 mo. He plateaued between 2-4 and then grew a small amt between 6-9 mo yet still under the chart. At nine mo his weight went down too. Not sure how or why bc he eats at least 30oz of bm per 24hrs.

Overall since birth he's grown 5 inches putting him at 25.5 (and that's generous)inches at 9 mo. Me and dh are above avg height. No allergies or ties that I know of...

Thx for the insight and reassurance.
  • gdiamante
    February 7 at 11:39 AM

Quoting Jessbech: He was 19.5 at birth, 10th percentile.
    That part I crossed out? We don't ccare about it. Never never never look at that info again until; baby is in school and taking thoae achievement tests. 10th percentile in those is a problem. 10th percentile in growth merely stack's baby's growth against others and that's probably the single most useless piece of information about your baby's health on earth.
    19.5 inches?
    He then fell to below the 1st at 2 mo. He plateaued between 2-4 and then grew a small amt between 6-9 mo yet still under the chart. At nine mo his weight went down too. Not sure how or why bc he eats at least 30oz of bm per 24hrs.

Overall since birth he's grown 5 inches putting him at 25.5 (and that's generous)inches at 9 mo. Me and dh are above avg height. No allergies or ties that I know of...

Thx for the insight and reassurance.

His height sounds fine. And really, you cannot just go by the parents. Lots of kids go back a few generations. My son was huge, and it turns out he had a football player (literally a pro football player) in his paternal background, back about three generations. My husband didn't even know it because he never knew that grandparent. (And my FIL was a small guy.)

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts