Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Roomfor1more
Shipping breast milk?
February 7 at 3:19 AM

I donate to a friend of mine, but I also have a friend that lives in Arizona, I'm in CA; one of his baby girls if having serious issues with formula, she's on her 3rd type in 4 weeks, but her twin sister is doing fine.   I'm willing to ship as much bm as I can to them to see if it would help her, but I don't know how to package it, or how to ship it.

Anyone know?

Replies

• MinaPR
    by MinaPR
    February 7 at 6:04 AM

You'll need a foam container (not a regular cooler, foam keeps the cold longer) and as many ice packs as you can get. Put the milk in between the ice packs, then cover the whole container in aluminum foil and, (if possible) put it inside a regular cooler, send it FedEx next day delivery. I've done it before from TX to AZ and it made it fine. Do not send a lot of milk on the first try. You're a very good friend! Good luck!!

• hip2it
    by hip2it
    February 7 at 8:46 AM
    I having mine packed with dry ice for a five hour drive. There's a dry Ice place in Houston that has experience and packs it for you.
  • lillybug222
    February 7 at 8:50 AM
    Dry ice, not ice packs. & you won't need to be concerned.

I was able to find a local heating & cooling company that makes it. I put one 1# brick in each cooler & drove 4 hours to my BFF's house. It was frozen solid & would have been for hours longer!
  • MinaPR
    by MinaPR
    February 7 at 8:58 AM

Dry ice is waaay better, but the FAA has very strict regulations regarding dry ice on airplanes... She'll have to ask FedEx about it.

• lillybug222
    February 7 at 9:02 AM
    My MIL had Omaha Steaks shipped to me. They were packed in dry ice.

Quoting MinaPR:

Dry ice is waaay better, but the FAA has very strict regulations regarding dry ice on airplanes... She'll have to ask FedEx about it.

• mostlymaydays
    February 7 at 9:11 AM
    I was thinking that regular ice would be heavy and expensive to ship.
  • tabi_cat1023
    February 7 at 9:29 AM

Dry ice would be best for shipping..foam cooler inside a cardboard box, overnight shipping..do not let the dry ice touch the milk.  Fill the space int he cooler with newspapers or whatever because space equal "melting" dry ice

• Roomfor1more
    February 7 at 10:10 AM
    Thanks ladies! I'll be shipping as much as possible Monday via FedEx.

Momma is breastfeeding, but supplementing with formula, she's having a hard time producing enough for both babies and they both lost a lot of weight and were not meeting diaper counts.

I'm giving her the link to this group as well.
  • Junebaby18
    February 7 at 4:15 PM
    Just be aware that its going to cost A LOT! I sent my mom a small box that had her insulin in it from Arizona to Idaho overnight and it cost around $50, just for that small container.
  • laura_mae99
    February 7 at 9:56 PM
    Www.modernmilksharing.com

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts