Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
polkaspots
Ds might have herpes. (Went in to Ped)
December 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Brought him into the er last night because he's had a fever for the past few days, he's been miserable, and he had what looked like an infection on his gum. Doc says it's viral and most likely herpes and told me to wean him to prevent the spread between him and ds2 who is due on the fifteenth. We're going to take him to the doctor for bloodwork to find out for sure, but idk what to do now. The er doctor sucked at communicating. I kept trying to ask him questions about what to do, but I got nothing. Any advice? Ds is taking antivirals but the thing we brought him to the er for in the first place isn't even being treated. The doc said it's a tooth coming out. It looks like a nasty infection in his gum.

Update. So his Ped says he won't do bloodwork to verify what it is. But to continue nursing as normal and when the baby is born I should wash in between babies. And he called in a prescription for amoxicillin in case the thing on his gums doesn't get better.

Replies

• melindabelcher
    mel
    December 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    Oh no :(
    Would designating one breast per kiddo work? Is there any kind of wash that you could use after he nurses to kill the infection.
  • polkaspots
    December 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    I don't know. I've been looking it up online and I can't find anything definitive. I actually asked the doc both of those questions. The example I used was if it was thrush, I'd use vinegar. I asked if there was something similar. I could do one breast each, I would be nervous about it though since one would be a brand newborn and the other a 22 month old...

Quoting melindabelcher: Oh no :(

Would designating one breast per kiddo work? Is there any kind of wash that you could use after he nurses to kill the infection.
  • BabyPink07
    December 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    I would probably wean. How did he get it?! Poor baby! Maybe your pedi might have better advice than the er doc.
  • polkaspots
    December 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    We have to wait until Monday to talk to the Ped. We can go today or tomorrow, but we'd have to wait until Monday for the blood draw. I have no idea how he got it. I've never had a cold sore but dh gets them. The last time he had one was at the end of spring. Unfortunately now would be the hardest time to wean as he's barely eating and he's been nursing at least every hour as opposed to the ten times a day he was nursing before. And it's not just for a few minutes anymore, he's spending hours latched on screaming while I take bathroom breaks.

Quoting BabyPink07: I would probably wean. How did he get it?! Poor baby! Maybe your pedi might have better advice than the er doc.
  • kajira
    by kajira
    December 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

First oral herpes is really, really common, I don't know jsut about any kid that won't catch oral herpes by school age.

So I wouldn't panic *just* yet.

There's a good chance his outbreak will be gone by the time you have the new baby. I would definitely talk to your pediatrician about how to handle this before freaking out from the ER dr.

I had an ER dr once tell me that because my son had the flu, my newborn needed thera-flu.... he prescribed something that would make her sick when she wasn't sick.

• polkaspots
    December 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    He's taking an antiviral, I'm just not sure how to go about taking care of this.
    That's really stupid...

Quoting kajira:

First oral herpes is really, really common, I don't know jsut about any kid that won't catch oral herpes by school age.

There's a good chance his outbreak will be gone by the time you have the new baby. I would definitely talk to your pediatrician about how to handle this before freaking out from the ER dr.

I had an ER dr once tell me that because my son had the flu, my newborn needed thera-flu.... he prescribed something that would make her sick when she wasn't sick.

• kajira
    by kajira
    December 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I think just about every body i've known in my life has had at least ONE cold sore, which is what oral herpes is. Yes, it's contagious, but oral herpes isn't usually a big deal, so, while i'd be careful with it due to a new born your new baby will most likely come in contact with it by the time he's 2-5 years just from playing with kids at the part, or exposure at school.

Generally, most people fight it off and only have a once in a blue cold sore near their mouth or almost never again... So I understand the concern of a new baby coming into contact with it, but it's not nearly the big of deal as the doctors making it out to be. 

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000606.htm

Most symptoms are gone with in 2-3 weeks. So unless his symptoms don't go away.... you should be fine to nurse both of them.

Quoting polkaspots: He's taking an antiviral, I'm just not sure how to go about taking care of this.
    That's really stupid...

Quoting kajira:

• kajira
    by kajira
    December 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

also - you can have similar sores from hand foot and mouth disease (aka kissing disease) Or a variation of the chicken pox which causes similar looking blisters.

So, definitely talk to your pediatrician, because both of the two I just mentioned are also super common in kids under 6.

• polkaspots
    December 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    The time line is why I'm so concerned. He got the two little sores on his lip the day before yesterday but he had fallen down right before hand, so I thought they were just bumps. And I'm due on the fifteenth, so there's a good chance that they likely won't be gone by then.
    I know I've never had one because my mother didn't know how to care for one when my sister for her first one as a kid and I haven't had one since then. The doctor said the newborn would be in danger of having the virus infect his whole body if exposed that young.
    How do I treat this cleaning wise? As in my bras and nipples themselves. There's nothing in the diaper region, so I'm not worried about the cloth diapers, but I don't know how to prevent the spread between the two.

Quoting kajira:

I think just about every body i've known in my life has had at least ONE cold sore, which is what oral herpes is. Yes, it's contagious, but oral herpes isn't usually a big deal, so, while i'd be careful with it due to a new born your new baby will most likely come in contact with it by the time he's 2-5 years just from playing with kids at the part, or exposure at school.

Generally, most people fight it off and only have a once in a blue cold sore near their mouth or almost never again... So I understand the concern of a new baby coming into contact with it, but it's not nearly the big of deal as the doctors making it out to be. 

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000606.htm

Most symptoms are gone with in 2-3 weeks. So unless his symptoms don't go away.... you should be fine to nurse both of them.

Quoting polkaspots: He's taking an antiviral, I'm just not sure how to go about taking care of this.

That's really stupid...

Quoting kajira:

• kajira
    by kajira
    December 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Now THAT Would be something you'd have to ask your pediatrician, but i'm sure there's rinses to sanitize your nipples before/after nursing and I'd probably limit his nursing to certain times per day so you'll have time to prepare for nursing him... 

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts