Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
kmfn11
supply loss please help
by kmfn11
June 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM
good morning bf mothers I am in need of some advice. My youngest is almost 16mo and has been bf since day 1 (my first bf baby and our last addition) ......she eats table food and drinks water and on occasion cows milk for calcium in addition to bf :) shes got her self down to one or to nursings a day consistently for about 3 months and last night I attempted to pump wich i haven't done in 4-5 months and I got absolutely nothing :( my supply wasnt great to begain with but how do i know if my lo is getting any bm when shes nursing? is it possible shes not getting anything and just nursing out of habit or comfort? would anyone attempt to get your supply back? ive considered it but i dont know if im being silly and or if its possible at this point....anyone have suggestions on how to try to re establish my milk supply??? thanks so much

Replies

• melindabelcher
    mel
    June 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    I would personally offer more during the day. Kiddos can just get to busy.
    You have a poor/non existent pump response which would be expected. Moms who pump daily have poor response to the pump after 1. I wouldnt have expected you to be able to pump a drop.
    If shes nursing 3 times a day no alternate calcium source is needed. But broccoli, cheese, yogurt are also good sources.
  • mostlymaydays
    June 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    Even moms who pump regularly find their pump response drops. After the first month of oversupply I couldn't pump a half ounce but I breastfed all of my babies without a bottle of any supplement. It doesn't mean your supply is low at all; it just means your body doesn't respond to a pump like it does to a baby. I'd keep doing what you're doing. :-) As long as she is stimulating some supply she's likely getting something, probably much more than you think. At 16 months, she's likely super efficient and can get several ounces with little effort, in just a couple minutes. Nursing toddlers is awesome because there are no "rules". And it's nice to have that insurance when they have a picky food day, or are feeling a little sick and nursing is all that comforts them.
  • kmfn11
    by kmfn11
    June 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    good to know about pump response thanks moms! I no longer experience the "let down feeling" while nursing but when she nurses she appears to be swallowing so I assume shes getting something. Do you ladies have any suggestions on how to up my supply for her? thanks so much! I was so devastated and already feel a little bit better :)
  • MamaCeleste0722
    June 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Pump output is not reflective of supply. I tried pumping one day after nursing my twins for almost 1 1/2 years and didn't get anything either. Before that, it was a few drops. As time goes by, pump response goes down, but again that is not reflective of supply. Your supply is probably fine! And I hadn't felt letdown in MONTHS either. There is probably no need to up supply. 

• K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    June 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I didn't feel letdown after the first month or two, but my baby was EBF.  If you want to have more supply, nurse her more often--it's as simple as that.  Milk is made on demand, so when she's nursing you're making milk.  Nursing 3 times a day means that she doesn't need any alternative source of calcium.

Quoting kmfn11:

good to know about pump response thanks moms! I no longer experience the "let down feeling" while nursing but when she nurses she appears to be swallowing so I assume shes getting something. Do you ladies have any suggestions on how to up my supply for her? thanks so much! I was so devastated and already feel a little bit better :)

• kmfn11
    by kmfn11
    June 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    shes nursing 1-2 times a day :) I give her alternative calcium due to family history of bone problems....I figure if she consistently gets plenty of calcium from the start the better off she will possibly be as an adult and hopefully lessen some of our hereditary misfortune :)
  • mostlymaydays
    June 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I also completely lose the letdown sensation after the first couple months but have never had a supply problem, never needed to suppliment. :-)  kmfn11, I really think you're doing much better than you're giving yourself credit for. Sometimes we mamas worry ourselves over nothing, when it comes to our babies. 

Quoting K8wizzo:

I didn't feel letdown after the first month or two, but my baby was EBF.  If you want to have more supply, nurse her more often--it's as simple as that.  Milk is made on demand, so when she's nursing you're making milk.  Nursing 3 times a day means that she doesn't need any alternative source of calcium.

Quoting kmfn11:

• SewingMamaLele
    June 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Sounds normal to me. If you want to increase supply, just nurse more. My middle was hospitalized for 2 weeks at 21 months, and couldn't nurse for the second week. I was pumping... But not really getting anything. We came home, he reestablished my supply and we went on to nurse for another year.
  • MusherMaggie
    June 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Quoting kmfn11:

shes nursing 1-2 times a day :) I give her alternative calcium due to family history of bone problems....I figure if she consistently gets plenty of calcium from the start the better off she will possibly be as an adult and hopefully lessen some of our hereditary misfortune :)

Also be sure she's getting enough sunlight on bare skin (or a vitamin D3 only supplement) to help with the calcium absorption. Having something that has vitamin C along with the calcium is also good. Iron (other than what's in breastmilk) inhibits calcium absorption, so you wouldn't want to have them at the same time
  • aehanrahan
    June 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    The best supply booster is your baby at your breast. I would offer to nurse more. Your milk is so much better for her than cow milk. Everything is so much more easily absorbed since it is made for a human, not a cow.
    As others have said, what you can (or can't) pump is not a reflection of your supply and what your baby can get at the breast.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN