Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Momma2013
help! supply issues...
April 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I have been back to work for 4 weeks now and am starting to not get as much when i pump/hand express.

Idk how to up my supply but i HAVE to. We cant afford for me to quit and i refuse to stop bf'ing. Ds get fed right before i leave at 8, then gets about 2-2.5 oz around 10ish, i feed again at 12 and then sometimes more before i leave about 1230/1245 then another bottle about 230ish then im home by 430 for another feeding.

Ive been getting like. 5oz from both lately and just driving to the house to feed him and im sure this might have hurt me more but i cant let him cry from hunger of not getting fed.

He needs his couple ounces and i need to figure out how to get it for him. Help!? Natural ways too, herbs or something, pumping before/after each feeding for a week? What? I LOVE nursing and will do whats needed. We always feed on demand when home at night and on weekends. No matter where we are.

Thanks for reading all this and any help offered. :)

Replies

• Junebaby18
    April 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    Start taking fenugreek 3 pills 3x daily until you start smelling like maple syrup. Make sure you're also drinking plenty of fluids, preferably water.

What type of pump do you have? Have you changed out any of the parts recently? The flap part at the end gets worn out sometimes and needs replacing occasionally.
  • Momma2013
    April 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    Where can I get fenugreek? Its just a hand pump, cheapy because i prefer hand expressing. Im still hoping dh gets a better job and i can quit so im not buying a double electric.

I drink about 100oz while at work of just water.
  • K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    April 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Pump every morning, first thing in the morning, whether you are working or not.  That will give you a bit of cushion for the pump sessions that you don't get quite enough.

• Momma2013
    April 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Oh thats the other thing, he doesnt like old milk. It has to be fresh.
  • bebe_ju-rah
    April 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    You can get an inexpensive single electric pump. Babies R Us is having a 15% off sale this week and they have an evenflo electric pump for $45 regular priced. That's what I have and switching from a manual to an electric pump made a world of difference for me! Also, try eating oatmeal, I heard that helps. :)

Quoting Momma2013:

Where can I get fenugreek? Its just a hand pump, cheapy because i prefer hand expressing. Im still hoping dh gets a better job and i can quit so im not buying a double electric.

I drink about 100oz while at work of just water.
  • bebe_ju-rah
    April 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    Strange. Even if its warmed?

Quoting Momma2013:

• Momma2013
    April 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    Nope. Makes him spit up lots.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Strange. Even if its warmed?

Quoting Momma2013:

• K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    April 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Does it smell soapy at all?  I'm wondering if you have an excess lipase issue.  If you do, you just need to scald it after you pump it and that would fix it.

Quoting Momma2013:

• momalee40
    April 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    Oatmeal helps. Do you have private Ins? Most of them are providing a free elect pump as of Jan 1 st, just call and ask.
  • gdiamante
    May 1, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Quoting Momma2013:

I have been back to work for 4 weeks now and am starting to not get as much when i pump/hand express.

Idk how to up my supply but i HAVE to. We cant afford for me to quit and i refuse to stop bf'ing. Ds get fed right before i leave at 8, then gets about 2-2.5 oz around 10ish, i feed again at 12 and then sometimes more before i leave about 1230/1245 then another bottle about 230ish then im home by 430 for another feeding.

Ive been getting like. 5oz from both lately and just driving to the house to feed him and im sure this might have hurt me more but i cant let him cry from hunger of not getting fed.
    Five ounces in one session is a LOT to get. More sessions will get you more. It was imperative for me to pump while nursing during every AM session that I was home, seven days a week.
    3000 mg fenugreek. Three cups Mothers Milk Tea. Any health food store has them.

He needs his couple ounces and i need to figure out how to get it for him. Help!? Natural ways too, herbs or something, pumping before/after each feeding for a week? What? I LOVE nursing and will do whats needed. We always feed on demand when home at night and on weekends. No matter where we are.

Thanks for reading all this and any help offered. :)

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts