Breastfeeding Moms

MamaToCollin
Curious about pumping for a NICU baby
April 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I'd like to ask about this at my next breastfeeding committee meeting to see what our NICU does.  I'm wondering about moms who pump and bring milk for their baby in NICU.  If the mom is only pumping, does the baby get fed a bottle like a breastfed baby?

Replies

• MommyO2-6631
    April 30, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    Mine did not and they also insisted his breast milk be mixed with enfacare formula. They gave it to him without discussing it with me first.

Eta:
    Are you asking if he was fed a bottle the way a breastfed baby should be fed a bottle or if they fed him by bottle or by an alternative?
  • Junebaby18
    April 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    Some do and some give it through gavage (is that what it's called?) feedings.
  • K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    April 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My preemie was bottle-fed my milk (by me and my dh for every feeding we could be there for, so the 6a, 9a, 12p, 3p, 6p, and 9p ones) once his resp rate stayed below 60--he was on iv nutrition before then.  He was allowed to breastfeed directly when he was off the iv.

• MamaToCollin
    April 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    I guess I'm wondering if a baby, who is getting breast milk by bottle only, is fed the same way a breastfed baby would. As in, baby upright, bottle parallel to the floor, no bottles larger than 3 oz.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Mine did not and they also insisted his breast milk be mixed with enfacare formula. They gave it to him without discussing it with me first.

Eta:

Are you asking if he was fed a bottle the way a breastfed baby should be fed a bottle or if they fed him by bottle or by an alternative?

• K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    April 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    I should add... other babies could bf directly from the beginning, depending on their medical situation. Some were gavaged if they didn't finish enough of their feeding but they always encouraged them to nipple-feed first. Andy always chugged down his milk, but he was a week older than the rest of them when he finally got to eat. They did his oral care on a pacifier with my colostrum instead of sugar water so that he got those nutrients, antibodies, and got to learn what food tasted like.
  • preacherskid
    April 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM

We did alternate feeds after my ydd was off the tube feeds- I told them when she was born no bottles, and since our hospital is Baby Friendly Certified and has two IBCLCs they were really good at working with us.

• K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    April 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Three ounces would be huge for most preemies to take.  We did feed upright, bottle parallel, and started with 10 mL.  We worked up to 30 mL per feeding (or 30 minutes-ish on the breast) before he was discharged.

Quoting MamaToCollin:

I guess I'm wondering if a baby, who is getting breast milk by bottle only, is fed the same way a breastfed baby would. As in, baby upright, bottle parallel to the floor, no bottles larger than 3 oz.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Eta:

• MamaToCollin
    April 30, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    I'm just wondering what other hospitals do. I'm sorry to say our nicu is more of a hinder than a help to breastfeeding mothers

Quoting K8wizzo:

I should add... other babies could bf directly from the beginning, depending on their medical situation. Some were gavaged if they didn't finish enough of their feeding but they always encouraged them to nipple-feed first. Andy always chugged down his milk, but he was a week older than the rest of them when he finally got to eat. They did his oral care on a pacifier with my colostrum instead of sugar water so that he got those nutrients, antibodies, and got to learn what food tasted like.

• bad_mama2011
    April 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM

There's a device for premies for breast feeding, the milk is put in a container that hangs around the mom's neck and a tube goes from the container to each nipple, so the baby doesn't have to work too hard to get the milk and they're not getting used to a bottle.

• K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    April 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    My hospital wasn't classified as baby-friendly then (they're working toward it now). I would have preferred to not HAVE to give a bottle first, but in the end for us I'm not sure it would have made a difference either way.
    Quoting MamaToCollin:

I'm just wondering what other hospitals do. I'm sorry to say our nicu is more of a hinder than a help to breastfeeding mothers

Quoting K8wizzo:

Breastfeeding Moms