Breastfeeding Moms

Marti123
If I had over-supply w/ previous baby........
April 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Is there a good chance I will battle with it again?

I had OAL/over-supply issues with my first two. It was HORRIBLE with my 2nd DS. I am pregnant with the 3rd, shold I just expect that I will deal with the same issue? OR just as pregnancy, could my milk production vary each time?

Replies

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    April 20, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I'm not sure.  My second I have over-supply for about 8 months.  With my third, I only had over-supply for the first couple of weeks.  She is 2 months now and we haven't had anymore over-suppy issues for a while now!  It is SOOO nice. 

• jackiewal10
    April 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM

No, not necessarily.  I had OAL and oversupply with my first.  I had none of that with my second.  Who knows what will happen this time around with my 3rd...  :)

• MIA0223
    by MIA0223
    April 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    It wasn't my experience.
    I had oversupply with DD. she would choke it came out do fast.
    With DS it's all been good so far!
  • TTC2Long
    April 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    Mine is the same this time around, but this time I have my older son to help relieve the engorgement, I know what it is and how to help ds2 deal with the OAL and I know to take my lecithin granules before things get bad. I asked the same question when I got pregnant again and the answers were that it would likely happen again, but you can't know until you're there.
  • OpalG
    by OpalG
    April 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    Hope ur lucky and it doesn't happen .
    Sure did for me. Crazy oversupply and let down w #1 and now #2.
    I wonder across the board, how common this is ..?
  • Marti123
    April 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I don't know, how common it is, I know my LC's and my pedi's NEVER caught it. And outside of this group and kelly mom, I have never heard of it.

I wasn't very educated on the topic because EVERYONE I knew struggled with low supply. With my first thought I just had this high needs, refluxing child, he was so over-fed and a fussy mess.

Number 2, I realized too late, after he was hospitilized with aspriration, reflux, weight gain problems, Once again no medical personnel ever suggested it was a problem I could produce 8-10oz of milk form each breast at a sitting and spray milk across the room when my child was a week old. It was a huge mess, this group finally made me come to my senses.

I am just scared, that since the 2nd was worse than the first that this time, ugh, I don't even want to think about it. I think my ancestors must have been wet nurses for an entire village or something; It's crazy!!

Quoting OpalG:

Hope ur lucky and it doesn't happen .
    Sure did for me. Crazy oversupply and let down w #1 and now #2.
    I wonder across the board, how common this is ..?

• Junebaby18
    April 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    With my first, it was horrible and I was leaking and spraying up until he weaned at a year. I had tons of milk even when he stopped nursing. With my second, it was still bad but not nearly as bad as the first. Now with my third, I had the initial issues, but it went away within a few months.
  • jjchick75
    April 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I've had it with all of mine. Wth my first I didn't know it and was actually led to believe by her pediatrician that I wasn't making enough and switched the formula. However I was better educated with my 2nd. I realized quickly it was an issue and I took the necessary to steps to deal with it and reverse it(and did the same with my others as well).  I was able to get it under control and nursed my 2nd until he self weaned at 3. My 2.5 year old twins are still nursing and so is my 15 month old. 

• Marti123
    April 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Yes, luckily for me, my oversupply never sabotaged the length of our nursing relationship, but looking back it definitely made the infancy stage of motherhood is 10 times harder. I hope it's better this time around like yours is.

Quoting jjchick75:

I've had it with all of mine. Wth my first I didn't know it and was actually led to believe by her pediatrician that I wasn't making enough and switched the formula. However I was better educated with my 2nd. I realized quickly it was an issue and I took the necessary to steps to deal with it and reverse it(and did the same with my others as well).  I was able to get it under control and nursed my 2nd until he self weaned at 3. My 2.5 year old twins are still nursing and so is my 15 month old. 

• bebe_ju-rah
    April 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    I have the same issues with my second as I did my first.

Breastfeeding Moms