Breastfeeding Moms

stayinhomemommy
Not gaining well
April 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I feed my triplets 6 times a day (6:30am, 9, 11;30, 2p, 4:30 and 7) the go down for bed after 7 feeding so about 7:30 they are put down and usually asleep by 8.  They don't wake during the night.  We started solids 1 time a day right after 11:30 feeding.  In the last month my little girl only gained a few ounces, both boys each gained about a pound.  What else can I do to help my little gilr gain weight?  She has 6 to8 wet diapers and 1 dirty a day to every other day.  She is meeting her milestones too.  I don't want her labled failure to thrive and don't want to do formula or fortify BM, but I will fortify again if needed.  Any suggestions for how to make her gain so we don't have to fortify or be labled FTT?  Thanks for all help!

Replies

• preacherskid
    April 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM

My 36 week singleton was 4 lbs 5 oz ten days after birth when she came home- scraping the bottom of the WHO bf chart if I remember correctly.  She is just over two now and I think she is in the 3% now.  23 pounds, roughly 33 inches.  Your doctor is silly for expecting anything but what you have for a triplet :)

• mamabens
    April 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Is he using the ones made for breastfed babies or the ones by formula companies? Regardless, percentiles mean nothing...ugh 

Quoting stayinhomemommy:

This dr, we had to switch from first ped whom I LOVED because I am separated from my hubby and living with my parents, wants her on the percentile charts.  She isn't even on the 1 percentile curve and I am not sure what chart she is using to be honest.  I would just feel like such a failure if any of my babies were labeled FTT.  Thanks! :)

Quoting mamabens:

I don't really see the issue then. She's gaining pretty good & just may be a peanut. Sounds to me like this is a dr problem(expecting too  much gain) not a baby or weight gain problem.

Quoting stayinhomemommy:

We adjusted the feeding schedule from every 3 hours to every 2.5 so they could eat 6 times a day.  They do not act hungry inbetween feedings, but I do nurse them if they need an extra feeding, which has happened a few times but not many.  They are 7 months.  I do not remember every weight but here is what I do remember.  Birth weight 4lbs even, not sure of lowest.  by 2 months she was 6lbs+, at 6 months 11lbs 2 ounces, 7 months 11lbs 7.5ounces.  No problems with latch so I haven't really looked for a tie.  Also, we were at one point on a 4 hour feeding schedule, when they were eatting through the night, but they were getting hungry at the 3 hour point so that is when we change to the 3 hour schedule.  Again, they sleep from 8p to 6:15a and do not wake at night.  One boy did a few times about a month ago and I had to nurse him, but that has been it.  So I do listen my babies and adjust as needed.  Also, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but she has had bad allergies this week.  She took Claritin 2 times a day for 3 days then once a day for 3 days.  Today was the first day we didn't give it to her to see if she still needed it.  She has done great without it today.  She is sleeping very well.  They take 2 naps a day for 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the day and the nap time.

Quoting mamabens:

Did they set the schedule themselves? If not then that is probably your problem. How old are they? She may just be a small baby but we could use a weight history on her, birth, lowest, etc to now.  I know it may be easier to schedule being that there are three but a strict schedule is the ideal way to set a breastfed baby up for FTT.  Also I  may be wrong(depending on age) but 6 times a day doesn't sound like nearly enough feedings! Also has she been checked for tongue & lip ties?

• Junebaby18
    April 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    My friend had a preemie singleton at 31 weeks and she was 3 lbs 1 oz. The dr used a preemie growth chart for her, not a full term growth chart. Preemies and multiples grow differently than full term babies.
  • CaitsCookies
    April 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM
    Just to ease your mind a bit more, do plenty of skin-to-skin contact. It helps combat FTT.
  • lifetimelove
    April 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM

My four pounder was only 9 pounds at 6 months, and 11 at a year.  You're doing FABULOUS.  Is she meeting milestones (for her adjusted age)?  Is her diaper count adequate?  Then there's nothing to be concerned about.  My petite beauty is now almost five and 29 pounds, she's not on the charts for her age, but her bmi is perfect, according to her metabolic team, because they look at the height/weight ratio.  She has an added whammy of having a metabolic disorder, but growth is growth, and you look that that at a longer view.  Not to mention typically babies don't get weighed at 6 months and then 7 months - not until 9 months, because at that age weight gain slows and goes in spurts, so getting it one month apart doesn't give you an accurate picture.  

Keep up with the great work!  And as a mother to a beautiful little girl who had the label "failure to thrive" for over 2 years, I can say without hesitation that having a child with FTT does NOT mean you are a failure.  I'm a wonderful success as a mother and I had a FTT baby.  You're doing a splended job, so no label is a reflection on the parent you are.  

• aehanrahan
    April 19, 2013 at 2:45 AM
    This! She's gained perfectly!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHen a baby is born OFF the chart they are not going to miraculously be on the chart later..they should gain as expected and thats it..not gain compared to other babies.  Keep in mind 4lbs is AWESOME for triplets and since the normal gain is 1lb a month from lowest weight and your LO is over 7lbs from BIRTHWEIGHT, your LO is gaining perfect.  I know with triplets schedules are needed, but it wouldnt HURT to allow extra nursings even when they dont act hungry for comfort or just a bit extra milk.  I am so glad shes willing to go between bottle and breast so well too! WTG momma.  BTW WHO and CDC have charts you can print out yourself to chart your LOs growth..most likely the ped is not even using the right charts.

• stayinhomemommy
    April 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I weighed them at the WIC office yesterday just out of curiousity.  They aren't scheduled to be weighed at the doctor until they are 9 months.  I wanted to see what their gain was for the last month in case they weren't gaining well I could interveen before going to the doctor.  All of their gain from 5 to 6 months was poor, fogot to put that in weight history (at 5 month apt, first time seeing new ped so new patient apt, they were weighed without fresh diapers so they were slightly full, at 6 months they had fresh dry diapers so I know that made a little difference even though the dr said it wouldn't really make a difference).  At their next appointment I will be reminding the doctor that they were 4 weeks early and of their birth weights.  I guess I should also ask her what chart she is using for growth, CDC or WHO.  Thanks for all the encouraging words!  Diapers are great and is meeting milestones.

Quoting lifetimelove:

My four pounder was only 9 pounds at 6 months, and 11 at a year.  You're doing FABULOUS.  Is she meeting milestones (for her adjusted age)?  Is her diaper count adequate?  Then there's nothing to be concerned about.  My petite beauty is now almost five and 29 pounds, she's not on the charts for her age, but her bmi is perfect, according to her metabolic team, because they look at the height/weight ratio.  She has an added whammy of having a metabolic disorder, but growth is growth, and you look that that at a longer view.  Not to mention typically babies don't get weighed at 6 months and then 7 months - not until 9 months, because at that age weight gain slows and goes in spurts, so getting it one month apart doesn't give you an accurate picture.  

Keep up with the great work!  And as a mother to a beautiful little girl who had the label "failure to thrive" for over 2 years, I can say without hesitation that having a child with FTT does NOT mean you are a failure.  I'm a wonderful success as a mother and I had a FTT baby.  You're doing a splended job, so no label is a reflection on the parent you are.  

• tabi_cat1023
    April 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Keep in mind CDC says to use who now..they got rid of their charts...you should also use preemie charts til atleast 2 years old.  Most likely the doctor is usig formula charts sent to them by formula companies

Quoting stayinhomemommy:

I weighed them at the WIC office yesterday just out of curiousity.  They aren't scheduled to be weighed at the doctor until they are 9 months.  I wanted to see what their gain was for the last month in case they weren't gaining well I could interveen before going to the doctor.  All of their gain from 5 to 6 months was poor, fogot to put that in weight history (at 5 month apt, first time seeing new ped so new patient apt, they were weighed without fresh diapers so they were slightly full, at 6 months they had fresh dry diapers so I know that made a little difference even though the dr said it wouldn't really make a difference).  At their next appointment I will be reminding the doctor that they were 4 weeks early and of their birth weights.  I guess I should also ask her what chart she is using for growth, CDC or WHO.  Thanks for all the encouraging words!  Diapers are great and is meeting milestones.

Quoting lifetimelove:

• stayinhomemommy
    April 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Thanks, I did not know all that.  I didn't even know there were preemie charts.  That's cool. :)  I'll look into that.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Keep in mind CDC says to use who now..they got rid of their charts...you should also use preemie charts til atleast 2 years old.  Most likely the doctor is usig formula charts sent to them by formula companies

Quoting stayinhomemommy:

Quoting lifetimelove:

Breastfeeding Moms