Breastfeeding Moms

IWantLotsOfKids
please dont think im stupid
March 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM
This is my first time tandem nursing because my boys are 18 months apart. My baby boy born Wednesday is such a great nurser. I am just a little worried. I can't remember how long until my milk is supposed to show up. This is my 5th baby, you would think I should know these things. I just want to make sure my 3 day old is getting what he is in need of as well as my bond with my 18 is still there.

Replies

• SadieJames
    March 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM

All I can speak from is my one experience but it took me about four days. Maybe four and a half? As long as baby is nursing on demand would be confident he's getting what he needs.  Congrats on the newbie!

• sissy852
    March 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    congrats on your new baby
  • Cruz-s-mommy
    March 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    The time your milk comes in is different for everyone, mine came in at 2 days, usually it happens by one week, until then colostrum is all baby needs. Just nurse on demand and you shouldnt have anything to worry about. :-)
  • gdiamante
    March 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Up to six days.

• lifetimelove
    March 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Also, if this is your 5th breastfed baby, you might not ever feel that engorgement and rush of milk "coming in" like you did with previous babies.  My milk never obviously came in with my 3rd, I just noticed because of the change in his diaper patterns.  No engorgement, nothing like that.  It could be that your milk is just making a more gradual change from colostrum to mature milk so it isn't as obvious.  As long as you've changed at least 1-2 poopy and 2-3 wet diapers today you're doing great.  =)

• IWantLotsOfKids
    March 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    I didn't know that! That you so much for your time as well. He sounds like is swallowing a lot when he nurses. But I also know I haven't felt 'let down' yet either.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Also, if this is your 5th breastfed baby, you might not ever feel that engorgement and rush of milk "coming in" like you did with previous babies.  My milk never obviously came in with my 3rd, I just noticed because of the change in his diaper patterns.  No engorgement, nothing like that.  It could be that your milk is just making a more gradual change from colostrum to mature milk so it isn't as obvious.  As long as you've changed at least 1-2 poopy and 2-3 wet diapers today you're doing great.  =)

• gdiamante
    March 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM

If he's swallowing your milk is there.

• catholicmamamia
    March 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM

You have already been given good info.. just wanted to say "Congratulations!"  :o) 

Breastfeeding Moms