Breastfeeding Moms

mommaoftwo
allergies in 3 wk old, need some opinions Added ENT vent!!
February 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

So, my little guy is starting to present just like his big brother did.

(Back story about DS2) At 3 months I finally got him allergy tested and he tested positive to wheat, soy, egg and brown rice (but not white rice)

DS3 is allergic to *something* I don't know if I should eliminate everything, (seeing that I have a history to base things off of) or if I should try by eliminating like wheat, and if he doesn't clear up in two weeks or so, then cut out soy, or dairy, etc.

We are going to an ENT today, to see about getting a tongue and lip clip, poor kid def has a lip tie like his siblings did, and it seems he has a posterior tongue tie as well. But the ENT also does allergy testing, so I will be asking him as well.

ETA:

UGH, the ENT told me that lip ties don't effect anything but teeth, there is no reason to cut a lip tie. He also said that DS does not have a tongue tie, that his gasping for air while nursing, vomitting, gas, inability to keep a pacifier in his mouth etc, is all likely due to some gastro issue.

He also told me that they don't test for allergies until 3 or 4, because they don't really have allergies before that......

I am SO glad that  I already have  a second opinion appt set up.

Replies

• SewingMamaLele
    February 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    I would cut out everything you suspect might be an issue until the symptoms resolve, then slowly reintroduce and watch for reactions.

What symptoms is he having?
  • melindabelcher
    mel
    February 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Allergy testing in the young is so unreliable. 

I would do a strick full elimination diet. And slowly add things back leaving the ones with a family history for last. 

• mommaoftwo
    February 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM

It is manifesting as a skin rash first

When I brought my other son in to the old pedi I was told it was prickly heat and newborn hives.

He also had excema that oozed and he was itchy all the time. (clawing at the excema, hence the oozing) 

Right now it is just manifesting as "prickly heat" but it is also on his ears and face and trunk, so I know it is not prickly heat.

I want to be preemptive here, I know he is allergic to something, I need to find out what that is, sooner rather then later

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I would cut out everything you suspect might be an issue until the symptoms resolve, then slowly reintroduce and watch for reactions.

What symptoms is he having?

• tabi_cat1023
    February 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I have found that kids with reflux and allergy  symptoms lose them after tongue and lip ties are fixed..I dont know what it is about them that cause the symptoms

• mommaoftwo
    February 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I told the pedi I was going to wait to do the elim diet, ( at the time the only really noticeable symptom  was gas, no hives on ears) until after he got clipped.

Do you think they will do the lip and tongue at the same appt?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I have found that kids with reflux and allergy  symptoms lose them after tongue and lip ties are fixed..I dont know what it is about them that cause the symptoms

• mostlymaydays
    February 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Could there be some baby acne going on there, too, further complicating the skin diagnosis? 3 of my 4 kids had the baby acne so bad they had it on their ears, too. My boys at 2-3 weeks. My dd was 5 weeks. Add eczema on top of that and it would be hard to tell where one thing starts and the other begins.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

I told the pedi I was going to wait to do the elim diet, ( at the time the only really noticeable symptom  was gas, no hives on ears) until after he got clipped.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

• maggiemom2000
    February 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Really good resarch based info on moms dietary changes for her sensitive breastfed baby:

http://scienceofmom.com/2012/07/03/tummy-troubles-colic-and-mamas-diet/

• mommaoftwo
    February 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

He does have some acne, but he also has rosy red patches in front of his ears, which is where his big brother started oozing from. 

The picture's colors show better on my phone, sorry

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Could there be some baby acne going on there, too, further complicating the skin diagnosis? 3 of my 4 kids had the baby acne so bad they had it on their ears, too. My boys at 2-3 weeks. My dd was 5 weeks. Add eczema on top of that and it would be hard to tell where one thing starts and the other begins.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

• mommaoftwo
    February 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

DS2 at 7 months after a accidental contact

• SewingMamaLele
    February 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Wow!   I can see why you would want to be pre-emtive! 

Breastfeeding Moms