Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
amc103
A BF'ing question
by amc103
February 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM

HI ladies! IM getting ready to bring another beautiful boy into the world...Im 39 weeks today. I was not successful in BF my first for longer than a month. I will be successful this time! :-) But I have a question...

When baby is nursing...how will I know when he's successfully drained one breast and its time to switch to the other?

I know to always offer both breasts. If he doesnt want the second one, should I pump that one to make them evenly drained? Or should I just keep track of which side to start from next time? I remember never knowing this with my first and I would like a clear answer so I know ahead of time with this baby. :-) 

Thank you ladies!!!!

Replies

• lifetimelove
    February 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Let the baby nurse for as long as he wants on one side.  When he's finished nursing, burp him then offer him the second side.  You can put a rubber band or bracelet on the wrist of the side you offered last - that is the side you should start with the next feeding.  Don't pump the second side (unless you're storing up milk to go back to work).  That signals your body to make more milk.  Which may seem like a good thing, but doing this in the early weeks can actually cause you to make too much milk.  I can speak from experience, dealing with oversupply is NOT a fun thing.  Your baby alone is more than plenty to make sure you make enough milk.  =)

• lifetimelove
    February 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM

And congratulations!  I always forget to say that first.  ;)

• amc103
    by amc103
    February 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM

AWESOME! Thank you so much! That helps a lot! With DS1 I had a TON of milk. I was pumping all the time....I was told to do so by my OB, nurses...oh Lord I got so much bad info with DS1. :-/ So let me ask  you this....I had a c section and it took my milk about 4 days to come in....DS1 was 11 lbs 6 oz so he was HUNGRY! (at least it seemed!) I was advised to pump alot in those 4 days to stimulate my milk to come in...was that good or bad advice? Also, if it was good advice, should I have stopped pumping once my milk came in and just let DS regulate it? I dont have to go back to work this time, so I dont really need any stored milk. 

Quoting lifetimelove:

Let the baby nurse for as long as he wants on one side.  When he's finished nursing, burp him then offer him the second side.  You can put a rubber band or bracelet on the wrist of the side you offered last - that is the side you should start with the next feeding.  Don't pump the second side (unless you're storing up milk to go back to work).  That signals your body to make more milk.  Which may seem like a good thing, but doing this in the early weeks can actually cause you to make too much milk.  I can speak from experience, dealing with oversupply is NOT a fun thing.  Your baby alone is more than plenty to make sure you make enough milk.  =)

• amc103
    by amc103
    February 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM

hahah! thank you! Im so ready!!!! My boobies were leaking colostrum today and I got so much more excited!!!!! I hope that means I get to hold him soon. :-)

Quoting lifetimelove:

And congratulations!  I always forget to say that first.  ;)

• YzmaRocks
    February 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    When baby unlatches, burp and switch sides. Let baby nurse as long on either side as he wants.

A couple things. One, your breast is never truly 'drained'. Your body is always producing milk. Two, baby might be a one sided nurser. All of mine would take one side for one feeding and then the other side for the next feeding. This is ok and there is nothing wrong if baby takes just one side per feeding. It is also ok if baby switches back to breast #1 after nursing on breast #2. You might see this during growth spurts and it does not mean that your supply is low or that baby is starving. Perfectly normal baby behavior. (Just a side note - the only way to tell if baby is getting enough is to count diapers. What goes in must come out! Many times a woman is afraid of supply issues when there are none and they mistake normal nursing behavior as a problem. You are looking for one diaper on day one, two on day two, three on day three, etc until day 6. From then on you want 6-8. One wet diaper is 4T of fluid, a soaker counts as two.)

• amc103
    by amc103
    February 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Amazing information! THANK YOU! I always felt like there was a "code" I needed to adhere to when BF'ing....its nice to know that it's okay if he only takes one side. I remember DS1 falling asleep on the breast CONSTANTLY! I always was trying to wake him to take the other side! Maybe he was a one breast per feeding kind of boy! Oh geeze! I wish I would have known this stuff with him... :-/ Im so excited for this time around because I feel like I will be really successful! Ive been doing much more research, video watching, book reading, etc. With DS1 I listened to "medical professionals" and I think that was my biggest problem. "You're spoiling him if you feed him more then eery two hours!" My OB almost yelled at me! Lordy..... Thank you again!!!!! Good to know about the drained, or not so drained info too!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

When baby unlatches, burp and switch sides. Let baby nurse as long on either side as he wants.

A couple things. One, your breast is never truly 'drained'. Your body is always producing milk. Two, baby might be a one sided nurser. All of mine would take one side for one feeding and then the other side for the next feeding. This is ok and there is nothing wrong if baby takes just one side per feeding. It is also ok if baby switches back to breast #1 after nursing on breast #2. You might see this during growth spurts and it does not mean that your supply is low or that baby is starving. Perfectly normal baby behavior. (Just a side note - the only way to tell if baby is getting enough is to count diapers. What goes in must come out! Many times a woman is afraid of supply issues when there are none and they mistake normal nursing behavior as a problem. You are looking for one diaper on day one, two on day two, three on day three, etc until day 6. From then on you want 6-8. One wet diaper is 4T of fluid, a soaker counts as two.)

• shortyali
    February 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    I have experience with nursing after a section. I did not pump for the first few weeks with any of my babies. Just let them do their thing. Keep baby on your breast as much as possible. The more they nurse the faster your milk comes in. Each time is different. With DS1 it took 4-5 days for my milk, with DD 2 days and this time with DS2 it took 2 days also. With DS2 he was having normal seedy yellow poops by the time he was 3 days old but he also was attached to me almost 24/7. Good luck momma and congrats!!

Quoting amc103:

AWESOME! Thank you so much! That helps a lot! With DS1 I had a TON of milk. I was pumping all the time....I was told to do so by my OB, nurses...oh Lord I got so much bad info with DS1. :-/ So let me ask  you this....I had a c section and it took my milk about 4 days to come in....DS1 was 11 lbs 6 oz so he was HUNGRY! (at least it seemed!) I was advised to pump alot in those 4 days to stimulate my milk to come in...was that good or bad advice? Also, if it was good advice, should I have stopped pumping once my milk came in and just let DS regulate it? I dont have to go back to work this time, so I dont really need any stored milk. 

Quoting lifetimelove:

• MommyO2-6631
    February 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    There is no need to pump really ever. It will not help your milk come in faster. Whatever you make those first few days will be enough. No matter the size of the child. Just feed on demand whether it be ever 2 hours or every 2 minutes and you will make enough milk.
  • MusherMaggie
    February 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Have you looked at kellymom.com?. Another excellent resource! Let us know when your little man arrives!
  • amc103
    by amc103
    February 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Oooo! thats good to know too! At least, if I end up having another section, my milk might come in faster! that would be great!!!! Thats the thing, my DS was not on my breast nearly as much as he should have been...I had a really bad experience and was drugged up and out of it for the frst two days...breaks my heart to think of it. :-(

Quoting shortyali:

I have experience with nursing after a section. I did not pump for the first few weeks with any of my babies. Just let them do their thing. Keep baby on your breast as much as possible. The more they nurse the faster your milk comes in. Each time is different. With DS1 it took 4-5 days for my milk, with DD 2 days and this time with DS2 it took 2 days also. With DS2 he was having normal seedy yellow poops by the time he was 3 days old but he also was attached to me almost 24/7. Good luck momma and congrats!!

Quoting amc103:

Quoting lifetimelove:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts