Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
loisl25
how to wean when baby has never learned to use bottle or sippy cup?
by loisl25
February 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Baby Karen has never gotten the hang of a bottle or snippy cup. She's nearly 11months old and whenever I try to get her to drink from anything besides the breast she can't do it. I'll be weaning in a month, help!

Replies

• SadieJames
    February 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

How does she do with a straw?

• BridgetMc
    February 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    My kids go straight to a straw. At around 6 months when introducing solids we give sips of water from a straw. We start by plugging the top and dropping water into their mouth and it doesn't take long before they are sucking the water from the bottom of the straw then drinking from the straw in a cup.
  • Zazayam
    by Zazayam
    February 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Gonna agree with straws, that's what worked with mine.

• lifetimelove
    February 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Have you thought about holding off on weaning?  I would just keep giving her a sippy cup with meals and rethink weaning once she has the hang of it.

• mamabens
    February 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Yeah I ditto straw cup. Remember when weaning to go slow, drop one feeding a week. No faster for your health. 

• lifetimelove
    February 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Basically, the answer is if she's not securely drinking from another source (a cup or bottle) then you can't safely wean without her likely becoming dehydrated.

• SaraNicole1019
    February 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    That's how my daughter was. I would give her milk or some water like a big girl, from a regular cup, or straw. Or water bottle. She still never used a sippy. But as soon as I weaned her all the way, she wanted to drink out of a sippy! Hope this helps and hope its as easy as it was for me!
  • LADYxGHOST
    February 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM

There is no real age to ween a child, so safety should be the top concern. Try straws and cups and sippy cups. When she gets the hang of one, then move to weening.

• loisl25
    by loisl25
    February 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    We have had some success with the straw, but only if we plug the top and she sucks from the bottom.
  • Brandy85412
    February 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    just keep giving her one. She should get the hang of it by the time you wean completely, if your giving it to her all the time. Have you tried the soft spout ones? Are you starting to wean now or starting in a month. Weaning should be a gradual process.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN