Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
aydensXmommy
Failure to thrive
February 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM
...what my poor baby girl is categorized as. After satisfying weight gain, she lost a few ounces since last week. I know she gained quite a bit since her last weight check last week, but seeing as how I don't have a scale, I'm not sure exactly what she gained. Anyway, they wanted to admit her to be monitored. She doesn't have to have any labs or anything since her doctor took care of that a couple weeks ago and those all checked out. She had an appointment with an ENT on Tuesday, but he didn't see anything wrong with her tongue. My IBCLC thought that she may have been tongue tied, but guess not. They have me pumping, then feeding her (I know pumping isn't an indicator of what I'm producing, but I learned that apparently my right one is on strike for pumping lol), and finally, topping her off with formula. She's not a fan of the formula, but she'll drink it eventually if she's hungry enough. I'm not stressing, because I know that I don't necessarily have to rely on formula, but I will do the bare minimum to keep her happy while in the hospital.

On the bright side, this hospital stay is a nice little vaycay from the drama going on in my house. I'll miss my 2 year old son, but he's in good hands. Anyway, keep my little girl in your thoughts! :)

Replies

• jjchick75
    February 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM

How old is baby? Weight history? Is she meeting milestones?

• IrishIz
    by IrishIz
    February 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    How old? List of weights...

Seems like quite the jump to throw her in the hospital with a few ounce loss. I would be watching my back!
  • aydensXmommy
    February 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM
    12 weeks. Birth weight was 8.3, lowest weight recorded was 7.3 at two weeks. 8.1 at five weeks, 8.4 at six weeks, 8.12 at eight weeks, 8.14 two days after, 9.2 at ten weeks, 9.5 at eleven weeks, and now back to 9.2. Their concern is that she is in like the 3rd percentile and suddenly dropped after doing so well. I can tell she gained weight because her clothes were fitting much better in the past week.

And yes. She's been meeting milestones. The LC at the pediatricians office was very impressed at how strong she is, and she actually sits up. I've never seen such a young baby do that before!

Quoting jjchick75:

• polkaspots
    February 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    So why are you in the hospital? Being active and sitting up is probably why she lost a couple of ounces. Eat some oatmeal and pump more because you don't respond as well to the pump as you do to a baby.
  • MrsNiko88
    February 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Is there anything else going on at home that would make your dr. worried? I just doesnt seem like a few oz would make them hospitalize. 

• aimhawk
    by aimhawk
    February 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Even what you described I don't see any issues. If she is being more active she could lose. If she had lost a pound I would worry.

• aydensXmommy
    February 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    Her Dr was just wanting to see if there was an underlying reason of why she us gaining so slowly. I think it could be because she's just a slow gainer. My son was the same way. I think it may be my milk, but after i get home, I will continue eating my oatmeal everyday and start fenugreek again. I just hope i remember to take it this time lol.

Quoting polkaspots:

So why are you in the hospital? Being active and sitting up is probably why she lost a couple of ounces. Eat some oatmeal and pump more because you don't respond as well to the pump as you do to a baby.
  • mostlymaydays
    February 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    You said they already ran a battery of tests. So are they just weighing before and after every single feed during the hospitalization? I'm not sure why you would question your own milk, but under these circumstances if demand they test it before I'd allow formula. And if your older child already paved the way as a slow gainer I'm not sure what red flags they are seeing that would warrant a hospitalization.

Quoting aydensXmommy:

Her Dr was just wanting to see if there was an underlying reason of why she us gaining so slowly. I think it could be because she's just a slow gainer. My son was the same way. I think it may be my milk, but after i get home, I will continue eating my oatmeal everyday and start fenugreek again. I just hope i remember to take it this time lol.

Quoting polkaspots:

• mostlymaydays
    February 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    And if the IBCLC thought she was tongue tied, I'd at least get a second opinion from a pediatric ENT experienced with posterior tongue ties before I'd dismiss that as an option.
  • jjchick75
    February 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM

That is not failure to thrive then. I don't see anything to be concerened about. But I would get a 2nd opinion on the tongue tie. 

Quoting aydensXmommy:

12 weeks. Birth weight was 8.3, lowest weight recorded was 7.3 at two weeks. 8.1 at five weeks, 8.4 at six weeks, 8.12 at eight weeks, 8.14 two days after, 9.2 at ten weeks, 9.5 at eleven weeks, and now back to 9.2. Their concern is that she is in like the 3rd percentile and suddenly dropped after doing so well. I can tell she gained weight because her clothes were fitting much better in the past week.

And yes. She's been meeting milestones. The LC at the pediatricians office was very impressed at how strong she is, and she actually sits up. I've never seen such a young baby do that before!

Quoting jjchick75:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts