Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
CheyennesMommy2
Steel cut oats? *Just tried them!*
February 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Are these like the canisters of quaker oats? How do you know if there steel cut? I sent my dh out for a few things and dont want him on a wild goose chase.

*Dh got the steel cut, from walmart! Suprisingly lol! I made them they were a tiny bit undercooked, but still good, I added brown sugar. How often should I eat them? How fast does it work...my boobs feel full and its just been 15 minutes. Do I need to eat a full serving? It cooks up to be alot...i dont have that big of an appetite. Dh also got rolled oats so I can make oatmeal cookies! :)

Replies

• YzmaRocks
    February 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    They say steel cut right on the container. It is with the oatmeal but it is different from old fashioned or quick oats.

Here is what it looks like:

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=AD8F75C8268C78350511EA4AD20FD763#ip/Quaker-Steel-Cut-Oatmeal-24-oz-Pack-of-12/17193629
  • CheyennesMommy2
    February 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    Thats all we have is walmart..the closest health food store os like an hour away

Quoting larissalarie:

They will say "steel cut", Quaker say "rolled oats" and/or "instant"

You usually find them at health food stores or nicer grocery chains, it's definitely not a regular Walmart purchase.
  • mckinneymom918
    February 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    At my store they are up above on the top shelf where the regular oatmeal is.
  • K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    February 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM
  • GoldenLinds
    February 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    I HAVE A QUESTION!! What is the difference taste wise? I don't think that I can eat them anyway but I've been curious.
  • CheyennesMommy2
    February 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Ive never had them..i always buy the instant packets :P

Im hoping/assuming I can add like brown sugar to them.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

I HAVE A QUESTION!! What is the difference taste wise? I don't think that I can eat them anyway but I've been curious.
  • shortyali
    February 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    I've always had luck with the rolled oats. Have you tried those yet?
  • K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    February 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM

You can add whatever you want to them.  They take longer to cook and are definitely a heartier, chewier food than instant oatmeal.  Yummy, though. :)

I love to put apples, walnuts, cinnamon, and a little brown sugar in mine (and sometimes raisins) or peanut butter and banana.  Peaches and milk is also yummy--the possibilities are endless.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting GoldenLinds:

• GoldenLinds
    February 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    I hear so much about them. I can't eat oatmeal but I still want to know lol

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting GoldenLinds:

• EslingerCrew11
    February 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    I get mine in a regular store (winco). Mine are by quaker but very clearly steal cut.

Quoting larissalarie:

They will say "steel cut", Quaker say "rolled oats" and/or "instant"

You usually find them at health food stores or nicer grocery chains, it's definitely not a regular Walmart purchase.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN