Breastfeeding Moms

risaspieces
A little nervous. *update*
February 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Ezra has an appointment tomorrow and I'm worried what the ped was say. Our last appointment she mentioned giving him formula (1 to 2 oz) after every breast feeding session to try to bring his weight up.

He was 7 lbs 2 oz at birth, 6 lbs 1 oz at 6 days old and 6 lbs at 13 days old. We had some latching issues after one of the nurses at the hospital fed him a bottle ( 3 oz bottle when he was less than 24 hours old), but we've got that resolved.

His diaper count has always been good and he's alert so I know he's getting enough in him but I'm tired of everyone telling me he's too small. I just feel like I'm going to be judged if he hasn't put on enough weight. -_-

Eta: he'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow

Update: so Ezra was 6 pounds 8 oz today!! That's an 8 ounce gain in 8 days! His pedi told me that she no longer recommends supplementing pumped milk or formula, just to keep doing what I'm doing. She did recommend taking him outside though to get some vitamin d and to take advantage of the nice weather ( it was 82 today). Other than that she has no concerns, he goes back on the 17th for his 1 month checkup. :)

Replies

• Briangel
    February 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM
    Hope it goes well!!
    I say you have nothin to worry about if you think he's eating enough, he's happy and has plenty of wet diapers!
    *wishing you luck tomorrow!
  • gdiamante
    February 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Let me start by saying I like your screen name!

Quoting risaspieces:

Ezra has an appointment tomorrow and I'm worried what the ped was say. Our last appointment she mentioned giving him formula (1 to 2 oz) after every breast feeding session to try to bring his weight up.

He was 7 lbs 2 oz at birth, 6 lbs 1 oz at 6 days old
    That's a 15 percent loss... way more than expected. Vaginal birth or c-section? For the former we look for 10 percent loss, 12 percent for c-section. Reading on...
    and 6 lbs at 13 days old.
    All weights on the same scale? That's more loss than I like to see in that period of time. By 13 days he should have been up to 6 lbs 5 ounces, but you're reporting that he lost another ounce from 6 days to 13 days. That's not good.
    We had some latching issues after one of the nurses at the hospital fed him a bottle ( 3 oz bottle when he was less than 24 hours old), but we've got that resolved.

Good. Tell me more about your nursing management. On demand or by schedule?

His diaper count has always been good and he's alert so I know he's getting enough in him but I'm tired of everyone telling me he's too small. I just feel like I'm going to be judged if he hasn't put on enough weight. -_-
    Ideally, given the six day weight, he'd be six pounds nine ounces by three weeks. Normal expected gain is 4-6 ounces per week.
    He lost an awful lot in week one, and that makes me wonder about tongue tie too. Any pain in the latch?

• risaspieces
    February 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    Thank you, my name is Risa so my screen name is my nick name.

He was a vaginal birth, but I did receive 3 bags of Iv fluids.

All weights have been done on the same scale.

He's fed on demand, I wait until he unlatches and offer the other side. He nurses at least 12 times a day and each session lasts about 45 mins of just nursing.

I did have a lot of pain in the first week, had him checked by an ent. I've been using a nipple shield though because he won't suck without it. I've even tried pumping to draw out my nipples and he still won't latch. He does fine with the shield, but if I try to get him latched without it he won't.

Quoting gdiamante:

Let me start by saying I like your screen name!

Quoting risaspieces:

He was 7 lbs 2 oz at birth, 6 lbs 1 oz at 6 days old
    That's a 15 percent loss... way more than expected. Vaginal birth or c-section? For the former we look for 10 percent loss, 12 percent for c-section. Reading on...
    and 6 lbs at 13 days old.
    All weights on the same scale? That's more loss than I like to see in that period of time. By 13 days he should have been up to 6 lbs 5 ounces, but you're reporting that he lost another ounce from 6 days to 13 days. That's not good.
    We had some latching issues after one of the nurses at the hospital fed him a bottle ( 3 oz bottle when he was less than 24 hours old), but we've got that resolved.

Good. Tell me more about your nursing management. On demand or by schedule?

Ideally, given the six day weight, he'd be six pounds nine ounces by three weeks. Normal expected gain is 4-6 ounces per week.
    He lost an awful lot in week one, and that makes me wonder about tongue tie too. Any pain in the latch?

• gdiamante
    February 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Quoting risaspieces:

Lots of fluids will inflate birth weight, so you might be all right there.

He's fed on demand, I wait until he unlatches and offer the other side. He nurses at least 12 times a day and each session lasts about 45 mins of just nursing.
    All good there.

I did have a lot of pain in the first week, had him checked by an ent. I've been using a nipple shield though because he won't suck without it. I've even tried pumping to draw out my nipples and he still won't latch. He does fine with the shield, but if I try to get him latched without it he won't.
    The shield may be interfering with milk transference. It's not supposed to but we've seen it happen. You may need to outstubborn him on it. 
  • risaspieces
    February 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    Thank you for your insight. I'm trying to get him off the shield, I didn't know it could interfere with milk transfer, but right now I want to make sure he's gaining the weight back.

I always offer without the shield first and if he pops off during nursing but is still hungry I'll try to get him back on without it. If you have any advice on how to wean him off the shield it'd be appreciated.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting risaspieces:

All good there.

The shield may be interfering with milk transference. It's not supposed to but we've seen it happen. You may need to outstubborn him on it. 

• risaspieces
    February 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    Thank you. :)

Quoting Briangel:

Hope it goes well!!

I say you have nothin to worry about if you think he's eating enough, he's happy and has plenty of wet diapers!

*wishing you luck tomorrow!

• Hoevegirl1986
    February 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM
    I dont understand why dr tell moms to give formula after bfing! My dr told me to give a 2oz bottle of bm after each nursing to make sure DS gained his 10% back.
  • risaspieces
    February 5, 2013 at 1:10 AM
    Idk why either. I understand being worried about him not gaining, I will say in his pedis defense she told me to try pumping when he wasn't nursing and try feeding him that. But all I have is a manual pump and I don't really respond to it that well.

Unfortunately I live somewhere where bfing is "gross" and all the pedis ( except his pedi)I talked to before Ezra was born told me that ffing a d bfing were the same and ffing was easier. -_-

Quoting Hoevegirl1986:

I dont understand why dr tell moms to give formula after bfing! My dr told me to give a 2oz bottle of bm after each nursing to make sure DS gained his 10% back.

• outstandingLove
    February 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Quoting risaspieces:

Thank you for your insight. I'm trying to get him off the shield, I didn't know it could interfere with milk transfer, but right now I want to make sure he's gaining the weight back.

I always offer without the shield first and if he pops off during nursing but is still hungry I'll try to get him back on without it. If you have any advice on how to wean him off the shield it'd be appreciated.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting risaspieces:

All good there.

Start with the shield and then after he has latched and your milk has let down take him off the shield (insert small finger in mouth to unlatch) and try again without the shield.

We use a shield on and off since she was 2 weeks old or so (she's 5 1/2 weeks now). We've been using it less and less. Some days more than others (the pain i have on my left seems to be a mystery) and some days not at all.

• risaspieces
    February 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM
    Thank you! I'll have to try that. My way certainly isn't working.

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting risaspieces:

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting risaspieces:

All good there.

Start with the shield and then after he has latched and your milk has let down take him off the shield (insert small finger in mouth to unlatch) and try again without the shield.

We use a shield on and off since she was 2 weeks old or so (she's 5 1/2 weeks now). We've been using it less and less. Some days more than others (the pain i have on my left seems to be a mystery) and some days not at all.

Breastfeeding Moms