Breastfeeding Moms

Briangel
Could there be something wrong with my milk??
February 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Dd is now 8 mo. Up until 6 mo, she was still nursing every 1 1/2 hours, even through the night. In needing more sleep, and more time with my toddler, since I stay home he's all I got. I tried the bottle. We experimented, a lot! I also logged it all, how much & when she ate, and my diet. She spit up a lot and was very gassy when nursing. On the bottle, she would refuse to take more than 2 oz of my milk at a time. Spit up every time, and woke a lot at night with gas. If I gave her formula, she'd down 4 oz, burp and be happy. She'd sleep better and not spit up at all. It couldn't have been dairy since I cut it out for a while and no change, plus the formula is milk based.
Any suggestions as to why she has such a hard time with my breast milk? I'm getting a little discouraged since this is supposed to be the best option for the baby, but it seems to not be for mine. (I've altered my diet several times to see if it was something I was eating)

Replies

• jjchick75
    February 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I'm confused. Are you exclusively pumping or are you nursing and pumping both? 

• lifetimelove
    February 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM

It could be another kind of protein intolerance, soy or egg or gluten would be my first attempts.

• Briangel
    February 4, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    I stopped nursing and she's only bottle fed now. So exclusively pumping.

Quoting jjchick75:

• jjchick75
    February 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Was she spitting up before you started the bottle?

Quoting Briangel:

Quoting jjchick75:

• bebe_ju-rah
    February 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    Its probably something else in your diet...wheat maybe?
  • Briangel
    February 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    Yup. Every time she nursed. They just told me its normal babies spit up. Obviously I knew that, but doesn't make since that she doesn't spit up if she gets formula. But I have tried going back to nursing, and she'd spit up, and be very gassy. And it's like the gas is deep cuz it gets harder to burp her and she'll cry til I can get it out. I've tried mylicon, gripe water...etc. nothing helps.

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Briangel:

Quoting jjchick75:

• maggiemom2000
    February 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM

It may be a different allergen in your diet, like eggs, nuts, wheat. It could also be that the formula is thicker and "stays down" more. This is why doctors sometimes suggest adding rice cereal for spit up, so it is thicker and heavier and harder to spit up. It doesn't really fix the underlying problem, it just makes the symptoms.

If baby is generally happy and healthy, it may just be a spit up issue and not a real problem. When baby has an allergy she is reacting to in moms milk there are additional symptoms like rashes and low weight gain.

• Briangel
    February 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    I kept thinking it was something in my diet, but i kept asking a bf'ing consultant, and telling her what I was eating and she basically said it didn't sound like anything I was eating, that i just had a gassy baby that spits up. But since I tried formula (and have gone back) She had none of those symptoms on formula, I just kept thinking it had to be something in my milk! I don't get what else it could be.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Its probably something else in your diet...wheat maybe?

• Briangel
    February 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    I see what you're saying about formula being thicker, but we tried rice too. If mixed with my milk, she still spit up. But he spit up didn't bother me as much as the gas. It seemed to cause her pain, and after my milk she was very hard to get to burp, and at night this would cause her to wake almost every hour. I'd spend 20 min just trying to get it out so she could be comfortable.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

It may be a different allergen in your diet, like eggs, nuts, wheat. It could also be that the formula is thicker and "stays down" more. This is why doctors sometimes suggest adding rice cereal for spit up, so it is thicker and heavier and harder to spit up. It doesn't really fix the underlying problem, it just makes the symptoms.

If baby is generally happy and healthy, it may just be a spit up issue and not a real problem. When baby has an allergy she is reacting to in moms milk there are additional symptoms like rashes and low weight gain.

• jjchick75
    February 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM

It could be soy or eggs or wheat. Leaning towards probably eggs, wheat. 

Quoting Briangel:

Yup. Every time she nursed. They just told me its normal babies spit up. Obviously I knew that, but doesn't make since that she doesn't spit up if she gets formula. But I have tried going back to nursing, and she'd spit up, and be very gassy. And it's like the gas is deep cuz it gets harder to burp her and she'll cry til I can get it out. I've tried mylicon, gripe water...etc. nothing helps.

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Briangel:

Quoting jjchick75:

Breastfeeding Moms