Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
lilou
From nursing to sleep to crib at nap time
by lilou
January 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Anyone did it? How? Today I nursed my ds, put him awake in his crib and I've been sitting in a chair next to his crib for more than an hour! He has cried, played, screamed but I did not give up. I blew his nose, pat his back but did not pick him up. It is very hard! I'm on the verge of crying but he needs to learn how to self sooth to sleep. I've read every online tips but can't seem to find anything on how to do it. Can I keep the same bedtime routine (nurse to sleep and co sleep) but teach him to fall asleep on his own for nap time or am I confusing him? And what do I do when he nap for 45 minutes than wake up and fall back asleep nursing? I let him sleep in my arms or put him back down?

Replies

• YzmaRocks
    January 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    Why do you feel you need to teach him to go to sleep?
  • lilou
    by lilou
    January 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    Because I'm at the end of the rope! He won't go down for a nap unless I nurse him to sleep and hold him the whole time! It's ok during the week but I feel bad for my 5 years old. I want to take his nap time to play with her. He still nap twice a day for an hour or two. That is because he still nurses all night and wakes up at least 5 times!!!!! I'm also ready to wean him at night. Already post about that one lol

Quoting YzmaRocks:

• YzmaRocks
    January 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    How old is he and is this behavior newer or has it been going on since he was born?

Quoting lilou:

Because I'm at the end of the rope! He won't go down for a nap unless I nurse him to sleep and hold him the whole time! It's ok during the week but I feel bad for my 5 years old. I want to take his nap time to play with her. He still nap twice a day for an hour or two. That is because he still nurses all night and wakes up at least 5 times!!!!! I'm also ready to wean him at night. Already post about that one lol

Quoting YzmaRocks:

• lilou
    by lilou
    January 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    17 months old and I have nursed him to sleep every single day since he was born! But he used to fall asleep on his own in a little hair but outgrew it.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

How old is he and is this behavior newer or has it been going on since he was born?

Quoting lilou:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

• Baby_Avas_Momma
    January 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    Have you tried laying down with him and nursing him to sleep? Then once he's asleep all you have to do is slip away and not have to pick him up and move him? I'm sorry, I don't have any other advice. I've always nursed dd to sleep and once she started waking up when I tried to lay her down, I started laying next to her and doing it.
  • lilou
    by lilou
    January 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    Yes I do this sometimes but he won't sleep long and I usually wake him up when I move!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Have you tried laying down with him and nursing him to sleep? Then once he's asleep all you have to do is slip away and not have to pick him up and move him? I'm sorry, I don't have any other advice. I've always nursed dd to sleep and once she started waking up when I tried to lay her down, I started laying next to her and doing it.

• Baby_Avas_Momma
    January 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    I'm sorry mama :(
    I hope the other ladies have more advice for you.

Quoting lilou:

Yes I do this sometimes but he won't sleep long and I usually wake him up when I move!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

• YzmaRocks
    January 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    Hmmmm....not really sure. My second son was harder to get to sleep and I nursed him to sleep until he naturally quit (about 18 months). He is my best sleeper now, go figure. Have you tried nursing him to sleep while laying down and then moving away? I do that with my daughter, 16 months, minus the nursing since she is weaned. We lay down and she goes to sleep, then I leave. She has always just gone down and has been a good sleeper from birth so I am not sure if that will work for you as well.

You could also try reading the book The No Cry Sleep Solution. It has been awhile since I read it but I used it with my second son around a year, so maybe that can give you some helpful ideas.

As for night weaning, that may be hard to do while co-sleeping. Possible but harder. My daughter weaned and still sleeps with us part of the night. She weaned very easily though.

Quoting lilou:

17 months old and I have nursed him to sleep every single day since he was born! But he used to fall asleep on his own in a little hair but outgrew it.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting lilou:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

• BridgetMc
    January 31, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    I'm in a very similar position. My dd will be 1 on the 11th and has always nursed to sleep. She's a very light sleeper and almost always wakes if I try to lay her down except at night she will usually go down without too much problem.

Yesterday was rough. I needed her well rested because I had to volunteer at my older daughter's school. The lo wouldn't sleep for more than about ten minutes so I finally just put her in her crib and went and got in the shower. After about 45 minutes she fell asleep and napped for almost an hour. I may start laying her down like that more often. I hate to make her fuss herself to sleep but I can't just hold her for naps for the next three years.
  • lilou
    by lilou
    January 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    I knew I wasn't the only one out there lol Good luck and don't give up like I did because its a thousand time harder the second time!

Quoting BridgetMc:

I'm in a very similar position. My dd will be 1 on the 11th and has always nursed to sleep. She's a very light sleeper and almost always wakes if I try to lay her down except at night she will usually go down without too much problem.

Yesterday was rough. I needed her well rested because I had to volunteer at my older daughter's school. The lo wouldn't sleep for more than about ten minutes so I finally just put her in her crib and went and got in the shower. After about 45 minutes she fell asleep and napped for almost an hour. I may start laying her down like that more often. I hate to make her fuss herself to sleep but I can't just hold her for naps for the next three years.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN