Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
BennyBaby09
WIC...
January 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
So I took the baby in for his wic renewal today since he just had his first birthday. We had a dr note for almond milk instead of cows milk because my oldest had a lactose intolerance and the dr was worried my youngest would have it too. Well long story short they could only give is lactose free milk or soy, so we took the lactose free. The "nutritionist" was telling me that almond milk doesn't have the fat that he needs, so I informed her that mostly he still gets breast milk, well only breast milk if I am home. She looked at me like I had three heads! She then proceeded to tell me that instead I should be pushing cheese and yogurt (he can eat those without problems) so that he gets the fat he needs. I just nodded and smiled but was thinking to myself how could an agency that is supposed to be so pro-breastfeeding have so little knowledge about it? Smh, good thing I know better.

Replies

• court.0125
    January 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    Sorry that happened :( I thought WIC ended at a year?
  • Madisonsmommy1
    January 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    WIC ends at 5 yrs old
  • BennyBaby09
    January 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    No can get it til 5. Wic for moms ends at baby's first birthday.
  • angellove1119
    January 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Probably because almond milk is way more expensive than soy milk.

• BennyBaby09
    January 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    Yeah I know, I just worry about putting the phytoestrogens in my little boy when they don't really know the effects yet...besidesy oldest a couldn't tolerate soy when he was young any better than the cows milk so I figured the lact-aid would be better just in case.
  • aehanrahan
    January 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    It stops at a year for the breastfeeding mom. It continues until 5 for the child.

Quoting court.0125:

Sorry that happened :( I thought WIC ended at a year?
  • aehanrahan
    January 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    If there is a diary issue, the Lactaid will still affect it because it has the cow milk proteins that cause the issues.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Yeah I know, I just worry about putting the phytoestrogens in my little boy when they don't really know the effects yet...besidesy oldest a couldn't tolerate soy when he was young any better than the cows milk so I figured the lact-aid would be better just in case.
  • BennyBaby09
    January 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    I know, but with my oldest it was just a lactose intolerance, that he eventually outgrew (thankfully). My youngest is showing the same symptoms that my oldest did. My oldest could drink the lactaid with no problem, so I figured I would start with that and if there are still issues then we could try something else. If I have to I will just buy him the almond milk myself since I know he can drink that with no problems, it's just so expensive that I figured the lactaid could be a good place to start since that's what wic can give me.

Quoting aehanrahan:

If there is a diary issue, the Lactaid will still affect it because it has the cow milk proteins that cause the issues.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

• soulofsunmama
    January 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    Yea, they seriously give THE CHEAPEST crap they have....except you can get REECES peanut butter (can you say full of sugar) out...

Quoting angellove1119:

Probably because almond milk is way more expensive than soy milk.

• BennyBaby09
    January 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    That's just crazy! My boy is big for his age (like really big lol) but he is still such a baby in my eyes, I would have never thought I would still be breastfeeding, but now I just can't imagine not. Good for you for not listening to that so called "nutritionist"

Quoting LTryon:

A couple weeks ago when dd turned 1 the nutritionist told me I should have her weaned in 6 -8 weeks and completely on table foods. I told her she was crazy if she thought I was going to wean in the middle of cold and flu season. Dd does get solids/table food, but she's still primarily bf'd.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts