Breastfeeding Moms

LoveOfWisdom
HS refusing to allow teen mom to continue breast feeding
January 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Have you seen this? Sorry mobile.

http://www.mommatraumablog.com/1/post/2013/01/delaware-teen-mom-denied-breastfeeding-accommodations.html

Replies

• Mrs.Brugger
    January 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Grrr

Huge 'props' to the girl though for being young and yet understanding the benefits of BFing and FIGHTING for those benefits!!!  So many young moms don't even think about BFing, let alone fight to do it!!

I certainly hope something gets figured out so she can successfully nurse (and pump for!) her son. 

• Kayla-Kay
    January 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    My mom nursed me for a week then I was ff because she went back to high school she was 15 when I was born and I dont think bf'ing was a big thing back then since even now she asked me what the big deal with it is.

Amazing that this mommy loves her baby enough to bf!!!! Many of my friends in hs who had babies did not bf because it wasn't educated on she must come from a bf family????
  • maggiandmike
    January 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    Crazy. Here in my area, we have a school for teen moms that both the child and mother attend for up to two years. So these mothers are accommodated to nurse. Why can't there also be this kind of program everywhere?
  • angeleyes16
    January 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I had my dd in HS. (I was 16). I breastfed for almost a year. They allowed me to pump in a locked conference room during lunch and twice more between class. 

• Starshine-bela
    January 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    Kudos for her. The school is being ridiculous. She has every right to feed her son as she sees fit
  • MommyO2-6631
    January 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Can someone make it clicky please! And thanks in advance :)
  • TonyaLea
    January 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

http://www.mommatraumablog.com/1/post/2013/01/delaware-teen-mom-denied-breastfeeding-accommodations.html

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Can someone make it clicky please! And thanks in advance :)

• MommyO2-6631
    January 30, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    Ugh... i hate high school and this just brought flash backs of being accounted for every second of every day! This is ridiculous! It takes 15-20 minutes to pump.... that's assembly and tear down. And of course they would know if she was actually pumping.... she would bring milk out of the room! I'd sue
  • lulu_tattoos
    January 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    That's awful! I bf'ed my son whom I gave birth to my sophomore year but supplemented with formula some because I didn't know my rights. I was able to breastfeed during my lunch and during the class period I spent in the nursery with him but he also needed to be fed in between.

I wish I had known more but it really wasn't realistic to expect to be able to miss class time in order to pump.
  • JMmama
    by JMmama
    January 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    I just read a response from the school and it sounds to me like the school, while they don't have a room specifically for pumping, would find a space for her to pump in and she would need to bring a small cooler to store her breastmilk in. Which seems reasonable to me.

It also said that there is a program where students are allowed to have their babies with them at school, breastfeed whenever they need to and still go to class. It sounds like she opted out of that program in order to return to her regular high school.

Breastfeeding Moms