Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Mitzi31
Puree's vs BLS
by Mitzi31
January 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM

My MIL is insisting that my dd needs puree's to start with because she doesn't know how to chew yet and of course no teeth yet but I can't actually give her any evidence that BLS is better. BLS is what I'm going to do but does anyone have any links that tell you WHY BLS is better? I looked it up but didn't find anything that was really convincing ... for her anyway.

Thanks!

Replies

• shortyali
    January 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Here's a link to some research that was done by the University of Nottingham by Ellen Townsend and Nicola J. Pitchford. They found that babies that were spoon fed had higher rates of obisety and blw babies tend to be under weight at the beginning but overall are able to better regulate how much they eat.

http://m.bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000298.full
  • Mitzi31
    by Mitzi31
    January 27, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I guess I'm not really understanding any of the solids stuff.. but does that mean you're weening baby from breast? MIL doesn't really want me to feed dd untill she's like 8 or 9 months but she's acting like she really wants it now. I want to try it and if she doesn't act like she wants it then I'll stop and try again another time. She just wants everything we're eating. I know she's teething but I can tell the difference in her just wanting something in her mouth to bite and wanting to try what we're eating.

Quoting shortyali:

Here's a link to some research that was done by the University of Nottingham by Ellen Townsend and Nicola J. Pitchford. They found that babies that were spoon fed had higher rates of obisety and blw babies tend to be under weight at the beginning but overall are able to better regulate how much they eat.

• littlemonaghan
    January 27, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Honestly I wouldn't waste my breath. 

I had the same problem with our family, everyone insisting on pureed food and a million other things.. 

I tried showing them articles, facts, ect, but they didn't want to hear it.

It just got easier to yes them to death, and raise my daughter how I wanted.

"Is she eating rice cereal yet???" -them

"ohhhh yesss...she loves it!"- me

"oh good!"-them

so much easier than a million negative reactions, accusations and horror stories of how their friends cousin's baby choked on this, or died from that. 

Just yes them to death and do what you feel is right. She's your baby. 

• littlemonaghan
    January 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM

It is basically all the same thing. You can safely introduce solids around 6 months old. Until 9 or 10 months, they really aren't going to actually eat anything. Most of it will end up on the floor, some of it will make it down.

Between 6-10 months, they are truly just experimenting with the food. Learning how to bring it to their mouth, learning how much food they can handle, learning how to move it around in their mouth with their tongue, learning how to hold it, experimenting with different tastes, ect ect. 

Its not until they are around 10 months that you'll start to notice some of the food you offered actually made it down, and out the other end. 

In the beginning you should start with stick foods, about 2 inches long, and soft. For example, steamed carrot sticks are good because they are long enough that baby can wrap their hand around one end, (most babies don't develop the pincer grasp until around 9 months), and chomp on the other end. If its soft enough, some will break off in their mouth and they can mush it with their gums...or they'll just spit it out.

You'll see  A LOT of gagging in the beginning. That is how the learn how much food to put in their mouth. If you get nervous, look up the difference between gagging and choking and learn infant CPR/Heimlich. The difference here is that when baby actually starts "eating" the food...they will do just that, and eat it. Most babies that were weaned onto pureed foods first, still go through the gagging stage, except they are much older. DD did the gagging stage between 7-8 months, and by 9 months old she was putting away bbq pulled pork and orange chicken like it was her job. 

(this is her at 9 months old, eating orange chicken and rice. She ate all 3 of those pieces of chicken...with NO teeth! )

(10.5 months old going to town on bbq pulled pork)

The best way to go about starting to try BLW is simply to sit her on your lap and let her reach for things off your plate. She'll taste it, chomp on it, and most likely toss it or spit it out. 

My daughter's first foods were hibachi chicken and green peppers...she took them off my plate. Mind you, she didn't actually eat any of them, but those were the first solid foods she tasted. lol 

Quoting Mitzi31:

I guess I'm not really understanding any of the solids stuff.. but does that mean you're weening baby from breast? MIL doesn't really want me to feed dd untill she's like 8 or 9 months but she's acting like she really wants it now. I want to try it and if she doesn't act like she wants it then I'll stop and try again another time. She just wants everything we're eating. I know she's teething but I can tell the difference in her just wanting something in her mouth to bite and wanting to try what we're eating.

Quoting shortyali:

• MommyO2-6631
    January 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    I don't see why it's her business or why you're trying to jump thru hoops to prove that your choice is acceptable. Tell her this is what i'm doing and you can like it or not but the subject is not up for discussion.... you're the mom. And saying "yes" to everything like pp said may in her mind give her the go ahead to feed her this stuff whenever she baby sits so imo not a good idea.
  • Emadele
    by Emadele
    January 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    The introduction of anything starts the weaning process. Just be sure that her main source of nutrition is bm and that you nurse before offering solids at least until 1. Solids should be desert until then.

Quoting Mitzi31:

• Titana
    by Titana
    January 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    I feel you there! I am catching bull from both sides of the family for not doing purees. So annoying!! I just put my foot down and tell them I don't care what they think is best, it's my child so it's my decision.
  • Baby_Avas_Momma
    January 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    I know MaggieMom always posts a great article on bls vs. purees, hopefully she'll see this! ;)
    With bls, baby has total control of how much food they take in. They're less likely to overeat, which later helps them in adult life. Plus, they're eating actual food, can't get any healthier than that! With purees, baby is most likely to be overfed because parents have a tendency to just keep spooning food in their mouth. Purees and are very watered down and if you were to get jarred food - they're full of sugar and sodium and preservatives, which means very little nutrition for baby.
    My dd was eating real food, including small shredded pieces of meat by 7 months old, she didn't get a single tooth until 14 months old! Don't even bother arguing with someone like that. If baby is atleast 6 months old, toss some soft chunks of food on their tray and let them go to town! :)
  • larissalarie
    January 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    Exactly. You don't need to prove anything to her and jumping through these hoops just proves that she's the boss, at least to some degree.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I don't see why it's her business or why you're trying to jump thru hoops to prove that your choice is acceptable. Tell her this is what i'm doing and you can like it or not but the subject is not up for discussion.... you're the mom. And saying "yes" to everything like pp said may in her mind give her the go ahead to feed her this stuff whenever she baby sits so imo not a good idea.
  • Mitzi31
    by Mitzi31
    January 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I agree but they're here all the time it seems like. She's normally really good and agrees with everything I do. I was actually surprised. She's been the only real support I've had with BFing. My family's all about FF cause it's easier and I can leave her with them and go out... Of course I don't want to go out but that's the way they are. None of them will EVER babysit her that's not an issue. Sounds bad but I'd leave DD with a total stranger before I'd leave her with anyone in my family....

And I used to gives reasons why I don't do cereals and such to my family before but now I don't bother cause they just get upset thinking I'm saying they were bad parents cause they gave their babies cereals. They don't even bother trying to understand why I don't they just think I'm being mean/wrong. The only reason I care about MIL is cause she's all about what's best for our dd. She really does care and if I can give her real true information I think that'll make her see that it's best. All she knows is what was best 35 years ago.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN