Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
lucaslexie
would you buy a used breast pump??
January 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

so heres the deal I had a medela and a ameda.  I leave the ameda at work and i leave the medela at home.  I only pump once a day with the medela.  I was using my sisters medela but she just had twins so I gave it back.  So therefore I am carting my ameda back and forth and its a pain!!!  I dont have the $$ to buy a new medela or ameda.   I have found an afforadable used medela on ebay that I was thinking about getting.  I know the ameda is a closed system and the medela is not.  I dont know what to do.  

Replies

• kiki2382
    January 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Used pumps are just fine so long as you replace the tubing which isn't very expensive.
  • mamabens
    January 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I would buy a used Ameda but no I wouldn't buy or use a used Medela.

• levansbx
    January 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    If it if a closed system (ameda) yes. Open system, no.
  • maggiemom2000
    January 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Quoting kiki2382:

Used pumps are just fine so long as you replace the tubing which isn't very expensive.

This is not totally true. Many single user pumps, like the Medela, are an "open system" and it is possible for the motor and inside parts to be contaminiated, and you cannot wash or replace those parts.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvjunjul04p54.html

Are Used Breast Pumps a Good Option? Issues to Consider

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC
    www.artofbreastfeeding.com

What new mother wouldn’t like to save money on a breast pump? That’s why we are often asked: “Do you have used breast pumps available?” Some mothers have friends or relatives offering to lend them a used pump. Is a used pump a good option?

Open Systems vs. Closed Systems

Some mothers mistakenly assume that because rental pumps are safely shared by mothers that it is also safe to share purchase pumps. This is not true. Rental pumps and purchase pumps are designed differently. The collection kits (the bottles and tubing that attach to the pump) used with the rental pumps are designed so that the milk never touches the working parts of the pump that are shared with other mothers. This is considered a “closed system.”

Most purchase pumps, for example Medela’s Pump In Styles, DoubleEase, and MiniElectric, are “open systems.” This means that the pump motor is “open” to contact with the mother’s milk particles. In a Pump In Style, for example, the breastshield (the part held against the breast) is open to the tubing that attaches to the back of the shield, which is also open to the diaphragm on the pump motor that creates the suction and release. This means that an invisible mist of milk particles can travel from the shield into the tubing and back onto the pump diaphragm. The diaphragm cannot be removed or sterilized, so it cannot be cleaned well enough between mothers to insure safety. When there are milk particles on the pump diaphragm, even with a brand new set of bottles, tubing and breastshields, with every suction and release another mother’s milk particles will be blown into your milk. Even if milk particles are not visible, they can still be there. (One sure sign is mold growing in the tubing, which sometimes happens with normal use.)

Health and Hygiene Issues

Does it matter if your baby receives another mother’s milk particles? Potentially, yes. Although your milk is without a doubt the best possible food for your baby, it is currently recommended that any donor milk a baby receives from a milk bank or from another mother be pasteurized to kill viruses. Your baby has already been safely exposed to the viruses in your system during pregnancy, so there is no risk. But if another mother carries a virus in her system that you do not, it can be passed to your baby via the other mother’s milk and your baby may become seriously ill.

A mother can have a virus in her milk without even knowing that she is a carrier. Some of the potentially dangerous viruses that can be transmitted through human milk include cytomegalovirus (CMV) and HIV (AIDS). Most mothers with CMV, for example, are unaware that they are a carrier. The FDA says:

There are certain risks presented by breast pumps that are reused by different mothers if they are not properly cleaned and sterilized. These risks include the transmission of infectious diseases...FDA believes that the proper cleaning and sterilization of breast pumps requires the removal of any fluid that has entered the pumping mechanism itself. If proper sterilization of the breast pump cannot be achieved, FDA recommends that it not be used by different mothers.

Legal and Liability Issues

These issues are serious enough that if a mother contacts Medela and tries to order a new set of bottles and tubing for a used Pump In Style, Medela will refuse to sell it to her. Medela does not want to be legally responsible if a baby should become seriously ill. On its Web site Medela says:

It is not advisable to use a previously owned breast pump. Breast pumps are single-user products, or personal care items, much like a toothbrush, and are registered with the FDA as single user items. For safety, breast pumps should never be shared, resold, or lent among mothers. Medela strongly discourages mothers from re-using or re-selling previously owned breast pump equipment....

• 2ninos4me
    January 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    No , there are a lot of breast pumps available at drug stores for like $40 bucks
  • littlemonaghan
    January 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    I did. Actually I didn't even buy it, my neighbor gave it to me, but I would trust her to nurse my dd if the need came for it so I didn't care about the pump. I replaced all the parts on it, so it cost me about $50 but that was fine. I only used it 4 times anyway
  • SadieJames
    January 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

No to a used Medela.  Open system single user pump.

• aehanrahan
    January 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    This! I would buy used ameda or Hygeia, but NOT medela.

Quoting mamabens:

I would buy a used Ameda but no I wouldn't buy or use a used Medela.

• Travelbugg
    January 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Yes. I have the Medela and I totally would buy used if I ever need to replace it. You will need to buy replacement tubing for about $20 plus I'd buy my own flanges/parts whatever.... So keep that in mind with the price. You will need to spend about $50 in spare parts. The hospital I gave birth at rents out the Medela when you buy your own tubes and flanges. 

• K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    January 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Medela rental pumps are closed systems (lactina and symphony).  Their other pumps are open systems, which are not safe to buy used.

OP, for pumping once at home, have you considered using a manual for at home?  The avent isis or medela harmony are both easy to use and can be found at major retailers for $30-$40 new.

Quoting Travelbugg:

Yes. I have the Medela and I totally would buy used if I ever need to replace it. You will need to buy replacement tubing for about $20 plus I'd buy my own flanges/parts whatever.... So keep that in mind with the price. You will need to spend about $50 in spare parts. The hospital I gave birth at rents out the Medela when you buy your own tubes and flanges. 

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN