Breastfeeding Moms

happymommy2b90
sick baby supply question.
January 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM
My 4mo old has a very bad cold. He cannot breathe well from his nose because its so stuffy and he has alot of phlem in his mouth. He usually nurses every 1.5 to 2 hrs but last night he only ate once at 3am and it had to be sitting up. He ate again at 8:30 this morning and my shirt was soaked! I was so engorged. Im worried that this has effected my supply big time! What can i do besides pump to make sure my supply doesnt dip when he goes back to nursing regular.

Replies

• OBImomma
    January 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    I used saline spray on my dd2s nose when she's had a cold (she's 5m and has had 2 colds). It thins out the mucus and allows them to breath better. I also took a shower with her and put vapor bath in the tub and let her breathe that. It helped her to breath which kept her nursing on a regular schedule.
  • Paradys
    by Paradys
    January 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Don't worry about your supply over a cold, it would have to last longer than a few days to affect it.
  • K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    January 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Nurse as much as she wants to, pump for your own comfort as needed, your supply will be fine.

• mamabens
    January 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Squirt some breastmilk up his nose & 'suck' it out to help him breathe. I' d also offer way more often, just to help him get better sooner.

• aehanrahan
    January 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Squirt some of your milk in the nose and offer to nurse frequently. Try steaming up the bathroom. I hope he's feeling better soon. You can pump or hand express for comfort. Your supply will bounce back once he's feeling better and nursing more again.
  • tabi_cat1023
    January 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

It will be ok, when he needs it it will be there..try to hand express and use some in his nose to help with the stuffiness

Breastfeeding Moms