Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
happymommy2b90
sick baby supply question.
January 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM
My 4mo old has a very bad cold. He cannot breathe well from his nose because its so stuffy and he has alot of phlem in his mouth. He usually nurses every 1.5 to 2 hrs but last night he only ate once at 3am and it had to be sitting up. He ate again at 8:30 this morning and my shirt was soaked! I was so engorged. Im worried that this has effected my supply big time! What can i do besides pump to make sure my supply doesnt dip when he goes back to nursing regular.

Replies

• OBImomma
    January 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    I used saline spray on my dd2s nose when she's had a cold (she's 5m and has had 2 colds). It thins out the mucus and allows them to breath better. I also took a shower with her and put vapor bath in the tub and let her breathe that. It helped her to breath which kept her nursing on a regular schedule.
  • Paradys
    by Paradys
    January 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Don't worry about your supply over a cold, it would have to last longer than a few days to affect it.
  • K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    January 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Nurse as much as she wants to, pump for your own comfort as needed, your supply will be fine.

• mamabens
    January 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Squirt some breastmilk up his nose & 'suck' it out to help him breathe. I' d also offer way more often, just to help him get better sooner.

• aehanrahan
    January 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Squirt some of your milk in the nose and offer to nurse frequently. Try steaming up the bathroom. I hope he's feeling better soon. You can pump or hand express for comfort. Your supply will bounce back once he's feeling better and nursing more again.
  • tabi_cat1023
    January 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

It will be ok, when he needs it it will be there..try to hand express and use some in his nose to help with the stuffiness

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN