Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
mkmommy0406
Breastfeeding after C-Section or Tubal Ligation??
January 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I am hoping to not have to have a c-section but I know that it's always a possibility.  If I do end up with one, I'll have my tubes tied right then but if not, I can schedule to go in the next day for the procedure.  My concern about breastfeeding is the pain meds post surgery.  How did you that had csections or tubals after delivery handle that critical time of feeding/bonding with baby?  It doesn't take much medicine to knock me out as it is, so I know I'll be out for a while on post-op dosages! I don't want to jeopardize that time with my new baby or risk delaying my milk coming in.  Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• maggiemom2000
    January 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Pain can delay your milk coming in so it is better to treat the pain. Most pain meds are fine with breastfeeding.

If you don't ave a c-section, why don't you wait 6 weeks to get the tubal? I've never heard of mom getting it done right at birth? If you are going to do that then you may as well have a c-sect. The whole point of avoiding a c-sect is to avoid major surgery. Talk to your doc about coming ack at 6 weeks, after you've got breastfeeding established, then get the tubal.

My friend had a tumor on her ovary during pregnancy the size of a grapefruit (yikes!) she has a natural delivery, then at 6 weeks they went in and did the surgery to remove the tumor. I think baby has 1-2 bottles of pumped milk while she was away

• cgbneb
    by cgbneb
    January 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    Ive had soon to be six c sections my milk had no peoblems coming in with pain meds
  • OBImomma
    January 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    I have had 3 c sections. I've never had any problems with my milk coming in. My dd1 was born at 30 weeks and the NICU was amazed at the amount of milk I could get from pumping. They called me the milk goddess. I would put the baby on a pillow on my belly to nurse so baby wasn't laying directly on my inscision.
  • Denisethedaring
    January 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I had a c-section and I was never knocked out or even woozy--however, my c-section was planned, not emergency, which probably makes a big difference in what drugs you're given. I didn't get to hold the baby for an hour after she was delivered, though, because they discovered a rather large uterine fibroid right where they needed to stitch me back up, so they had to remove it first, so I was in surgery rather longer than anticipated.  However, I had absolutely zero trouble bonding with my little beauty as soon as I held her, and she latched on within 5 minutes of being in my arms.  :)  My milk was a few days slower coming in than it was with my previous two vaginal births, but I really don't know if that was because of the c-section or because I was a much older mother with my c-section baby than I was with my vaginal babies or some other reason entirely (my milk came in in 24-48 hours with my first two--it took close to 4 days with my last one).

• Denisethedaring
    January 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Note:  The Boppy is a nursing post-c-section mommy's best friend. :)

• newmom121812
    January 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    I had a csection and my milk came in earlier then normal at about 2 days after delivery. I almost died on the table so I didn't get to bf right away. Everything was fine with bfing though
  • newmom121812
    January 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    Yes it is!!!!!! Baby can really hurt your incision

Quoting Denisethedaring:

Note:  The Boppy is a nursing post-c-section mommy's best friend. :)

• BnAJsMommy
    January 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    I rejected the pain the meds that were offered after my c section. But they gave him a bottle in the nursery and it was all over after that. I had such a horrible expierence trying to bf with him
  • mkmommy0406
    January 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    Originally this was the plan but more than 6 weeks off work is pushing it for me as I only have two weeks paid. A good friend mentioned that some docs will do it the next day. I have an appt tomorrow and i'm gonna discuss it with him then.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Pain can delay your milk coming in so it is better to treat the pain. Most pain meds are fine with breastfeeding.

If you don't ave a c-section, why don't you wait 6 weeks to get the tubal? I've never heard of mom getting it done right at birth? If you are going to do that then you may as well have a c-sect. The whole point of avoiding a c-sect is to avoid major surgery. Talk to your doc about coming ack at 6 weeks, after you've got breastfeeding established, then get the tubal.

My friend had a tumor on her ovary during pregnancy the size of a grapefruit (yikes!) she has a natural delivery, then at 6 weeks they went in and did the surgery to remove the tumor. I think baby has 1-2 bottles of pumped milk while she was away

• maggiemom2000
    January 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM

It sounds like you are kind of between a rock and a hard place on this one :-(

Quoting mkmommy0406:

Originally this was the plan but more than 6 weeks off work is pushing it for me as I only have two weeks paid. A good friend mentioned that some docs will do it the next day. I have an appt tomorrow and i'm gonna discuss it with him then.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN