Breastfeeding Moms

MrsKoolaidPunk
Is this normal for her to be this fussy, puny, and difficult??
January 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I am waiting on a call from the pediatrician and may try with a lactation consultant after I hear from the pediatrician's nurse. But..she has just bee screaming nonstop at EVERYTHING for the past week. She has been shaking very bad as well. Like hyperactive shaking outbursts. It is worse when I try to nurse her. She normally nurses every 2-3 hours. Now she only WILLINGLY nurses in the morning when she wakes up and at night, before bed. She screams and turns her head, won't latch, rips my hair out and just has a complete meltdown when I do try to nurse her and as soon as she is away from the boob, she is fine. But when I pick her up she is sucking on my neck and whatever she can get her hands on. They checked for teeth and ear infection..nothing, And this still continues..
Should I start her on cereal or.... She is 4 1/2 months. 
I pretty much have to be rocking her, standing up all day.. 

Replies

• MrsKoolaidPunk
    January 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

BUMP!

• amesstobemade
    January 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Is she ever given bottles?

• MrsKoolaidPunk
    January 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Nope..she hates them.

Quoting amesstobemade:

Is she ever given bottles?

• Khalan29
    January 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

It's probably the start of teeth, that can cause super fussy babies.

• amesstobemade

Have you researched over active letdown?

• BennyBaby09
    Sounds a lot like a nursing strike, which while frustrating, is normal. Just keep offering her the breast. Eventually she will eat, she will not starve herself, babies just don't that. Also with my cranky baby I found that a baby carrier (I fell in love with the baby k'tan or the Mei tei) really helped to help him relax and calm down when he was being especially fussy. It may also help with the nursing since she will be kept close to you, smell you, your milk etc. hopefully this passes soon :)
  • MrsKoolaidPunk
    January 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I actually tried the baby carrier right after posting this, and she seemed pretty happy! But her pedi wanted to see her, and noticed that her throat was red and swollen. He said that it probably was hurting her to swallow and try some tylenol for 2-3 days and if that doesn't work to bring her back in.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Sounds a lot like a nursing strike, which while frustrating, is normal. Just keep offering her the breast. Eventually she will eat, she will not starve herself, babies just don't that. Also with my cranky baby I found that a baby carrier (I fell in love with the baby k'tan or the Mei tei) really helped to help him relax and calm down when he was being especially fussy. It may also help with the nursing since she will be kept close to you, smell you, your milk etc. hopefully this passes soon :)

• MrsKoolaidPunk
    January 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Yes, I have. But she starts screaming before she even nurses. As soon as she sees the breast in front of her she turns her head and starts screaming,crying, and kicking.

Quoting amesstobemade:

Have you researched over active letdown?

• BennyBaby09
    January 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    Well I would think the crying would be the cause of the red swollen throat. Just make sure you are giving the dosage based on weight NOT age for the Tylenol.
  • MrsKoolaidPunk
    January 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Yes, I thought this was possible and gave her some baby oragel. Her pedi said that he thinks it is her throat that is bothering her though. It was red and a little swollen.

Quoting Khalan29:

It's probably the start of teeth, that can cause super fussy babies.

Breastfeeding Moms