Breastfeeding Moms

Kimberly954
Cutting Dairy
January 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

So I cut out dairy to see if the colic would go away. It seems to have made a difference. So that being said, how long do I need to go dairy free (for those who have done this before)? I dont eat a lot of dairy anyways because i am lactose intollerant myself, but i do like ice cream and cheese and things like that!

Replies

• melindabelcher
    mel
    January 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    Absolutely no dairy. You must read every label. Pretty much most processed things are out. It'll be 2-3 weeks before you see any improvement and 4-6 weeks before it overall gets better.
    And no dairy not even a little bit, one time kind of thing.
    Did you already make a post about the colic?
  • mamabens
    January 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM

indefinitely. I tried adding it back in every couple months, just one thing & see how baby did

• Kimberly954
    January 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

yes, i made a post about doing the total elimination diet but i was told to go dairy free first because this is the most common. I dont really do processed anyways. I make most stuff from scratch.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Absolutely no dairy. You must read every label. Pretty much most processed things are out. It'll be 2-3 weeks before you see any improvement and 4-6 weeks before it overall gets better.
    And no dairy not even a little bit, one time kind of thing.
    Did you already make a post about the colic?

• stepconfused182
    January 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    I reintroduced dairy to my diet when my dd was 3 months old and she did fine at that point.
  • TonyaLea
    January 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM

The stuff I read (some of it on Kelly Mom) said that the time depends on the severity of the sensitivity or allergy, and that it could take up to 6 weeks to see improvement.  For myself, cutting out dairy seemed to help my baby's tummy issues within just a few days.  I didn't do a total elimination diet either, I just cut out things like milk, cheese, and ice cream.  I have since discovered I can have small amounts of cheese/yogurt/creamer and she is fine.  I still can't drink milk though. She is 7 months.

I also love icecream and discovered that coconut milk icecream is really good!

• preacherskid
    January 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Time line is five days to clear your milk, two to three weeks to clear baby's system, and usually at least three weeks to see a change as well.  I would cut dairy for at least six months before reintroducing, that will give baby's system time to not only clear any reactions, but to fully heal from any reactions.  Be very careful with reintro, only a little bit then watch for a reaction for a few days.  If you suspect a severe allergy or have noticed severe reactions I would not reintro without first speaking with a doctor, preferably a pediatric allergist about your suspicions- a good one will base an initial dx off your observations, then proceed with testing as necessary.

• lactatingloon
    January 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM
    I went completely dairy free until ds was 4 1/2 months old, their digestive systems are not fully developed until 4-5 months then I began adding dairy back in slowly.

Breastfeeding Moms