Breastfeeding Moms

mrs.noska11
Frustrated Mom help!!!!
January 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Okay I've been breast feeding for about three weeks now. My baby girl was a preemie so she kinda needed help learning to eat, well when I put her on the boob she latched on right away like a pro but the problem is that there are some days where It freaking hurts and burn and feels like she's ripping off my nipple and there are days when she's doing great and is feeding just fine. Idk why this is happening. I remember reading somewhere that breast feeding is not supposed to hurt and that if it hurts the baby is most likely not latched on right but whenever I check on her she is stll sucking and milk is coming out. I just wanna know like what to do to make it stop hurting this much and has anyone else experienced this?? I try to keep my cool and eat the pain when this happens but I'm almost losing it and keep thinking about just pumping the milk and taking her off the boob but I really wanna breast feed. Any thoughts?? Btw I bought the lanolin I use it often.

Replies

• jjchick75
    January 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Sounds like a bad latch. To get the best advice for that you need to see an IBCLC. But don't be afraid to break the latch and relatch her. If it hurts take her off, get her to open her mouth really wide and relatch. She might have a tongue and/or lip tie as well. So I would see an IBCLC and have her latch checked and have evaluated for a tongue tie/lip tie. 

• aehanrahan
    January 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    THIS!

Quoting jjchick75:

Sounds like a bad latch. To get the best advice for that you need to see an IBCLC. But don't be afraid to break the latch and relatch her. If it hurts take her off, get her to open her mouth really wide and relatch. She might have a tongue and/or lip tie as well. So I would see an IBCLC and have her latch checked and have evaluated for a tongue tie/lip tie. 

• piwife
    by piwife
    January 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    You need to get baby checked for a tongue and lip tide... and well she is a premmie.they take a lil longer to get the nursing down. Can you get in touch with an ibcl
  • melindabelcher
    mel
    January 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Agree!!! 

Exclusively Pumping is ALOT of work. From personal experience. IMO its more work then fixing her latch. If you'd prefer to pump you need to pump every 2-3hrs around the clock. Pump/cooler/baby/diaper bag etc all need to come with you wherever and whenever you go anywhere. 

Quoting aehanrahan:

THIS!

Quoting jjchick75:

• tabi_cat1023
    January 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM

She is small from being a preemie, this is why it hurts here and there.  It means unlatching her and trying again.  Have her checked for a tongue tie often preemies have them.  EPing is HARD and with her being a preemie she needs BM now moer than ever

• mrs.noska11
    January 21, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    Wait what a ibcl?? Like a latching consultant? And nipple confusion? I never thought id experience that but at the same time when she was at NICU they told me to not worry about nipple confusion that I could do both breast feed and bottle feed breast milk and the lactation consultant told me this. But at the same time idk. I hear different things from everyone. All I've been giving her is breast milk but at the same time with the whole bad latch it is very time consuming trying and trying and trying allcause I do try I really do but then it just gets painful and I still have my other daughter to take care of because my bf isn't always gonna be here so I'm confused right now. Ughh

Quoting piwife:

You need to get baby checked for a tongue and lip tide... and well she is a premmie.they take a lil longer to get the nursing down. Can you get in touch with an ibcl

• piwife
    by piwife
    January 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    International board certified lacation consultant, yes nipple confusion can occur.if I were you I would invest on a sling, a moby wrap. Wear baby that will help with breastfeeding, see if you can get in touch with and ibcl or at least get a hold of la leche league. Watch how to latch a newborn on youtube. Trust me you don't want to go the only pumping route( I have done it) but if you do decide feel free to ask me questions

Quoting mrs.noska11:

Wait what a ibcl?? Like a latching consultant? And nipple confusion? I never thought id experience that but at the same time when she was at NICU they told me to not worry about nipple confusion that I could do both breast feed and bottle feed breast milk and the lactation consultant told me this. But at the same time idk. I hear different things from everyone. All I've been giving her is breast milk but at the same time with the whole bad latch it is very time consuming trying and trying and trying allcause I do try I really do but then it just gets painful and I still have my other daughter to take care of because my bf isn't always gonna be here so I'm confused right now. Ughh

Quoting piwife:

• mrs.noska11
    January 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    I haven't given up on breast feeding just yet yesterday since my nipples and literally the whole breast was hurting and felt numb I had decided to bottle feed her the breast milk and let my nipples heal a little but I will try again cause I don't wanna just quit I wanna be proud that I breastfed her but now my fear is nipple confusion and everytime I hear her to that little sucking sound she does with the bottle it always reminds me of when she's on the nipple and does it because it hurts like a &^%$#*&^ anyways yeah I do wanna ask you a couple questions: why shouldn't I go the pumping route?

Quoting piwife:

International board certified lacation consultant, yes nipple confusion can occur.if I were you I would invest on a sling, a moby wrap. Wear baby that will help with breastfeeding, see if you can get in touch with and ibcl or at least get a hold of la leche league. Watch how to latch a newborn on youtube. Trust me you don't want to go the only pumping route( I have done it) but if you do decide feel free to ask me questions

Quoting mrs.noska11:

Quoting piwife:

• mrs.noska11
    January 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    GUYSSS I did it it hurt and I fought through it but then it kinda got better but everytime I would feel her take a break id cringe for fear of it hurting. But I'm gonna push through even if it hurts and when it does ill call the latching consultant
  • PolishMamma2
    January 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM

If it hurts sometimes and not others then its prob the latch. You have to adjust it. Try a diff position, or a boppy pillow. And try to go talk to a Lactation consultant. As for getting frustrated i think all of us have at one point but you say you really want to breast feed then just do it. dont make formula or even the pump a option. Breastfeeding is a learning experience for both you and the baby. Try to remind yourself why you are choosing to breastfeed. For me it was knowing how bad formula is, The illnesses it contributes to, diabeties, stomache problems, childhood obesity, childhood cancers and so on....      

Breastfeeding Moms