Breastfeeding Moms

MrsPickett
starting the weening process...maybe?
January 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Ok so I know that there will be strong feeling about this, but I need to get some input from someone other than my hubby.  I have a 1 yr old who has been exclusively bf, no bottles, no formula EVER.  He's a great little nurser, but over the course of the last few months I have gone from nursing 5-6 times a day to close to 12 times a day and all night long.  The little guy won't sleep in our bed with us, so it makes for a very draining experience.  He's got a great appetite and eats solids 5 times a day (3 meals 2 snacks) and 10ish ounces of water a day.  So I've decided that I'm gonna limit the availability of the breast ( I know this might spark issues with other users), I'm currently trying to limit him to 3 nursing during the day and maybe once at night since I know he can sleep through the night but lately has just wanted a sip or comfort nurse constantly at night.  I have been giving him a sippy with pumped breast milk for the other feedings when he is acting like he wants to nurse, any suggestions for easing the transition for him?? 

Replies

• larissalarie
    January 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    It sounds like you're doing great. I'm all for long term bf, but I also fully support the choice to limit breastfeeding in a baby over 12 months if that is moms desire.
    I'm glad to hear that you realize you can fix the problem by limiting nursing rather than weaning altogether :-)
    Either way you'd be telling him "no", but this way he still gets to breastfeed at least a little longer.
  • larissalarie
    January 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    Oh and I think the way to make it easiest on him is to stick to limiting nursing once you decide to do that. If you sometimes give in and sometimes stick to your plan, that will be much more confusing.
  • MrsPickett
    January 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Oh thank you so much!! I was so nervous about posting anything about limiting or weaning.  I'm trying to find a happy medium for both of us, I plan on being firm and have tried to do this in a way that I can stick to.  I kinda look at it like sleep training, in the begining it was so hard, but now I've got a little guy who goes down all by himself.  Just gotta remember that it's about his health and my sanity LOL

• poosey08
    January 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Is he getting teeth? My little one could nurse 50 Times a day and night if teeth are on the way and he' s 18 months old.

• SadieJames
    January 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Weaning technically started with that first bite of solid food.  After 12 months the baby hands over the keys of the breastfeeding bus to mom too.  You've done great and you set the rules now! 

• MaryJarrett
    January 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    Read dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning methods. I would start there. :)
    And yay!! You rock!!
  • aehanrahan
    January 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    We actually ENCOURAGE limiting if needed for mom's sanity! You have a great plan. :-)
  • Baby_Avas_Momma
    January 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    This!!!
    We've all been there! ;)

Quoting aehanrahan:

We actually ENCOURAGE limiting if needed for mom's sanity! You have a great plan. :-)
  • cabsmom10
    January 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    I'm going through the exact same thing as you with my 1 year old. It's hard :( Declan wants to nurse constantly (when he's bored, tired, we he falls, etc). I am also limiting his feedings to naps and bedtime....and starting this weekend. I hope it helps his frequency night wakings, he gets up at least every 2 hours, and does not like to co-sleep! LOL
  • moroccanmommy
    January 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    Mine to

Quoting poosey08:

Is he getting teeth? My little one could nurse 50 Times a day and night if teeth are on the way and he' s 18 months old.

Breastfeeding Moms