Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
McM0609
jury duty
by McM0609
January 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM
On the back of the page it says postpone jury duty for breastfeeding mothers the first year and/or who continue to breastfeed. My sons 13 mths and i still nurse, so do i have to go?

Replies

• aehanrahan
    January 18, 2013 at 3:26 AM
    I think that means you don't have to. What state?
  • McM0609
    by McM0609
    January 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    California

Quoting aehanrahan:

I think that means you don't have to. What state?

• gdiamante
    January 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

You can get an exemption.

• legobaby
    January 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    If they postpone it where I live, you have to pick a month within the next year when you can do it. If the baby is still nursing that whole year, you might be exempt. I got an exemption in TN because I have small children and the money they pay ($10) isn't nearly enough to find satisfactory child care. They were going to postpone it at first because of my morning sickness but told me I could probably get an exemption since I have small kids at home.
  • gsdlover
    January 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Yeah you can get an exemption.  I have been pregnant and/or nursing for 7 years now and they keep exempting me here in KY.

• luna321
    by luna321
    January 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I kept postponing it and postponing it- finally I accepting thinking if I got called I would just tell them that I was nursing and hope they would leave me alone-well I called the phone line and my number wasn't called-thankfully! I got it like a week after Gabe was born and then they would resend it every few month or so after I postponed it time and time again.

• BlessedMammaof2
    January 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    Depends on your state laws. If that is what it says then you're exempt because you have continued to BF.

I'm BF my 22 month old and 22 weeks pregnant. I'm not a SAHM but DH and I have arranged our work and college classes to keep our DS out of childcare. I couldn't afford to miss work, school, and have to find a sitter. They exempted me and I won't be eligible to be called for jury duty again for 2 years.
  • gdiamante
    January 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

One other thought. Depending on where you are in California, it might actually behoove you to go, depending on how busy your courthouse is. Many counties are one day/one trial, and one day can often be more like three to four hours. I've been called every year and have never had to spend more than four hours at the courthouse.

• thundersky
    January 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Jury Service: Breastfeeding

• http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=ccp&group=00001-01000&file=190-237
  • California Code of Civil Procedure § 210.5. 
    2000 Cal AB 1814; 2000 Cal ALS 266; Stats 2000 ch 266

§ 210.5. Standardized jury summons 
    ...shall adopt a standardized jury summons for use, with appropriate modifications, around the state, that is understandable and has consumer appeal. The standardized jury summons shall include a specific reference to the rules for breast-feeding mothers. The use of the standardized jury summons shall be voluntary, unless otherwise prescribed by the rules of court.

2004 California Rules of Court (Note: this is not a statute).
    Rule 859. Deferral of jury service

A mother who is breastfeeding a child may request that jury service be deferred for up to one year, and may renew that request as long as she is breastfeeding. If the request is made in writing, under penalty of perjury, the jury commissioner must grant it without requiring the prospective juror to appear at court.

• XxPixiesworldxX
    January 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Im in IL and just got jury duty for the first time. My son still nurses and is 3 but they wouldnt exempt me for that reason because of his age however, because I am pregnant and a SAHM and babysit for another family, that is what SHOULD exempt me. I had to write a letter and send it in with my jury information. I wouldnt mind so much if I knew what the details were and if it were close to home but they want me to drive 45 minutes to another town!

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN