Breastfeeding Moms

MOMMY2ACR
Wondering if I need to throw this milk out...I hope not!
January 12, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Today I left Elena for the first time. I had a few bags of frozen milk and on the way to my dads to drop her off I pumped so when she got there she had 3oz of fresh milk in the bottle. Well she only drank about 2oz and I had brought 2 frozen bags 4oz each with me just in case. (I wayyyyy over prepare lol) anyways we had stuff to do after I picked her up and the milk thawed but stayed cold in the insulated bag. So now I have 8oz of thawed milk in the fridge and she probably won't have to take a bottle again until Tuesday. So will the thawed milk be good for a few days or is it only good for 24 hours? I hate to dump it down the drain :(

Replies

• victoriangavin
    January 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    Breastmilk is good in the fridge for 7 days, deepfreezer for a year, and freezer for 6 months. You just can't refreeze thawed milk
  • MOMMY2ACR
    January 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    Thank you :)

Quoting victoriangavin:

Breastmilk is good in the fridge for 7 days, deepfreezer for a year, and freezer for 6 months. You just can't refreeze thawed milk
  • maggiemom2000
    January 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Thawed frozen milk needs to be used within 24 hrs. Freshly pumped milk may be good for 7 days in the fridge, but not thawed.

• Nicolle_09
    January 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    Thawed HAS to be used or thrown out after 24 hours. Only fresh is good for a week in the fridge

Quoting MOMMY2ACR:

Thank you :)

Quoting victoriangavin:

• audmom1218
    January 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    For future packing reference, 1oz per hour you plan to be away. Makes it easier to plan and have less waste.
  • Nicolle_09
    January 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Thawed is only good for 24 hours in the fridge, fresh is good for a week in the fridge.

Quoting victoriangavin:

• gumbeme06
    January 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    This

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Thawed frozen milk needs to be used within 24 hrs. Freshly pumped milk may be good for 7 days in the fridge, but not thawed.

• victoriangavin
    January 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    Wic didn't tell me that one! Lol thank you

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Thawed is only good for 24 hours in the fridge, fresh is good for a week in the fridge.

Quoting victoriangavin:

• MOMMY2ACR
    January 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    Thanks ladies!!
  • Nicolle_09
    January 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Never rely on WIC for breastfeeding, they are very poorly trained in most cases. 

Heres the link that works to best for storage info:

http://www.lansinoh.com/breastfeeding/storing-breastmilk

Quoting victoriangavin:

Wic didn't tell me that one! Lol thank you

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Quoting victoriangavin:

Breastfeeding Moms