Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
nolazimmer
Six ounces in three months.
January 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I have been ebf my LO and she has only gained six ouncs in three months. She is almost nine months. Dh is pushing to start formula and continue to breast feed as well.. The doctor really wants us to.

i know breast milk is best, but I feel so bad she gained spittle. She has good diaper count, meeting all milestones she is crawling and pulling up. She is super happy, any suggestion in diet change for me! 

Please no negativity! Thanks! 

Replies

• gdiamante
    January 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Plateauing in gain is normal after six months... what's the overall weight history? If she's meeting milestones that is what really counts. Not the weight.

• nolazimmer
    January 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Seven pounds in 8 1/2 months

Quoting gdiamante:

Plateauing in gain is normal after six months... what's the overall weight history? If she's meeting milestones that is what really counts. Not the weight.

• asaffell
    January 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM

What was the lowest weight after birth?

• gdiamante
    January 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Seven pounds from BIRTH weight or lowest weight? Big difference. 

Quoting nolazimmer:

Quoting gdiamante:

• gdiamante
    January 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Actual numbers will be helpful but what you write sounds like it's time to find a new ped and ignore the husband. Pound a month from *lowest* weight is expected.

• NicLof2
    by NicLof2
    January 8, 2013 at 2:21 AM
    What was she at birth and what is she now? Are you giving any solids? My sons ped said a few times I should supplement and we never did eventually DS caught up and the ped was very happy and told me to keep on doing what I was doing! EBF babies grow different. As long as he diapers are a good amount daily and she's meeting milestones that's more important!
  • nolazimmer
    January 8, 2013 at 2:28 AM

8 lb2 oz at weight

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting nolazimmer:

Quoting gdiamante:

• gdiamante
    January 8, 2013 at 2:34 AM

8/2 birth weight? Sorry I have to keep asking but the detail is important and ACTUAL weights will make a HUGE difference in being able to help you.

I'm going to presume that's birth weight. 130 ounces. 10% expected loss takes baby to a lowest weight of 117 ounces, AKA 7/5.

By eight months, with expected gain of one pound per month, we'd be looking for a weight of about 15/5.

So what's the actual weight? Month to month gain doesn't matter... overall gain in her lifetime does.

Quoting nolazimmer:

8 lb2 oz at weight

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting nolazimmer:

Quoting gdiamante:

• Aydnsmommy
    January 8, 2013 at 4:02 AM
    As previously stated, actual weights are needed to be really helpfull.
    But... My dd only gained 3.5 oz from 6 months to 9 months and then only 1.5 oz from 9 months to 12 months. Her psid was never worried because her previous weight history was just fine.
  • mostlymaydays
    January 8, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    Mine gained like crazy the first 6 months. Weighed exactly the same ounce for ounce at the 6 month and 9 month appointment then gained slowly from there. But overall weight gain by that first year averaged out slightly more than the pound a month expected.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts