Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
JenniferMiller0
You want me to do what?!!
January 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

So this guy friend of mine keeps telling me to rub whiskey on my six month old's gums to help with teething. I keep telling him that I don't think giving alcohol, even just on the gums, to a baby is a good idea. He keeps pushing it everytime I talk to him. I keep thinking, "Dude...this is MY baby...why on earth are you pushing this opinion of yours so forcefully?"

Now, I don't condemn other mothers who have done this...I just don't want to. So, comments? Suggestions on getting him to stop pushing it?

Replies

• larissalarie
    January 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Tell him you aren't going to do it and it's not up for discussion anymore, then completely ignore him if he stars in.

I highly recommend an amber necklace if you don't already have one.
  • Precious333
    January 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Thats weird that hes so insistant with it.
  • JenniferMiller0
    January 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

@Precious333, I know right? he says he'll do it with his kids. And I'm thinking, "Good for you." lol.  I did what larissalarie said and hopefully, that gets him to stop. And I don't have an amber necklace but he does have a few teething toys that seem to help.

• gdiamante
    January 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Next time he does it, tell him you asked the doctor about it and the doc was ready to call Child Protective Services on you!

Hopefully your friend marries a woman much smarter than he is.

• JaxMomma78
    January 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM
    My grandparents used to do it for us. It's an old wives tale. The alcohol would help put baby to sleep. This was before they knew about sids.
  • japanmommy
    January 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM
    Haha, print out some information on why that's a horrible idea and when starts again dont say anything just hand him the papers.
  • mostlymaydays
    January 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    My grandparents, too. And whiskey and water in a bottle for baby's upset stomach.

Quoting JaxMomma78:

My grandparents used to do it for us. It's an old wives tale. The alcohol would help put baby to sleep. This was before they knew about sids.
  • CV3
    by CV3
    January 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Amber necklace?

Quoting larissalarie:

Tell him you aren't going to do it and it's not up for discussion anymore, then completely ignore him if he stars in.

I highly recommend an amber necklace if you don't already have one.

• motherslove82
    January 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Explain that non parents who give parenting advice have a much higher chance of having an - accident - than people who mind their own business.
  • LucyHourglass
    January 8, 2013 at 7:27 AM

how on earth would whiskey help an upset tummy? lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My grandparents, too. And whiskey and water in a bottle for baby's upset stomach.

Quoting JaxMomma78:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN