Breastfeeding Moms

JenniferMiller0
You want me to do what?!!
January 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

So this guy friend of mine keeps telling me to rub whiskey on my six month old's gums to help with teething. I keep telling him that I don't think giving alcohol, even just on the gums, to a baby is a good idea. He keeps pushing it everytime I talk to him. I keep thinking, "Dude...this is MY baby...why on earth are you pushing this opinion of yours so forcefully?"

Now, I don't condemn other mothers who have done this...I just don't want to. So, comments? Suggestions on getting him to stop pushing it?

Replies

• larissalarie
    January 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Tell him you aren't going to do it and it's not up for discussion anymore, then completely ignore him if he stars in.

I highly recommend an amber necklace if you don't already have one.
  • Precious333
    January 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Thats weird that hes so insistant with it.
  • JenniferMiller0
    January 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

@Precious333, I know right? he says he'll do it with his kids. And I'm thinking, "Good for you." lol.  I did what larissalarie said and hopefully, that gets him to stop. And I don't have an amber necklace but he does have a few teething toys that seem to help.

• gdiamante
    January 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Next time he does it, tell him you asked the doctor about it and the doc was ready to call Child Protective Services on you!

Hopefully your friend marries a woman much smarter than he is.

• JaxMomma78
    January 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM
    My grandparents used to do it for us. It's an old wives tale. The alcohol would help put baby to sleep. This was before they knew about sids.
  • japanmommy
    January 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM
    Haha, print out some information on why that's a horrible idea and when starts again dont say anything just hand him the papers.
  • mostlymaydays
    January 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    My grandparents, too. And whiskey and water in a bottle for baby's upset stomach.

Quoting JaxMomma78:

My grandparents used to do it for us. It's an old wives tale. The alcohol would help put baby to sleep. This was before they knew about sids.
  • CV3
    by CV3
    January 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Amber necklace?

Quoting larissalarie:

Tell him you aren't going to do it and it's not up for discussion anymore, then completely ignore him if he stars in.

I highly recommend an amber necklace if you don't already have one.

• motherslove82
    January 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Explain that non parents who give parenting advice have a much higher chance of having an - accident - than people who mind their own business.
  • LucyHourglass
    January 8, 2013 at 7:27 AM

how on earth would whiskey help an upset tummy? lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My grandparents, too. And whiskey and water in a bottle for baby's upset stomach.

Quoting JaxMomma78:

Breastfeeding Moms