Breastfeeding Moms

arigdon4
BF-ing and diaper chart...how are we doing?
December 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM

DS's pedi wants me to keep a chart of feedings and diapers for the next two weeks. Here is what we've done so far today...how are we doing? (the "day" starts at midnight)

2:06A, Left-8min, Right-6min

5:25A Left-35min (we fell asleep), Right-none, Wet-2 (1 soked diaper), Dirty-1

7:25A Left-none, Right-10min

8:30A Wet-1

9:45A Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

11:45A Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

12:45P Dirty-1

2:55P Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

6:30P Left-10min, Right-7min, Wet-1, Dirty-1

Total he has had 7 wet and 3 dirty. He is 5 days old today....how are we doing?? Is he getting enough to eat? am I doing alright (I feed on demand rather than schedule) and is he making enough diapers? Please keep in mind there are still 4 and a half hours left of the day left.

EDIT: I didn't realize that they didn't ask all new moms to do this....but if it's not really necessary, I think i'm just going to could diapers....the whole timing and charting of which breast, when and how long was getting irritating already.

Thank you ladies.

Replies

• Duquesne
    December 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    Plenty of dipes. Why are you timing?
  • melindabelcher
    mel
    December 31, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    I would never be bothered to do all that. Soynds like dr isnt to knowledgeable in bf. Set out 6diapers if you use them all, all is well.
    Time at breast really doesnt tell you anything.
  • MonicaV1982
    December 31, 2012 at 7:35 PM

There is NO REASON to time feedings! Let baby stay on for as long as baby needs and then offer the other side. Repeat if necessary. Honestly keeping these records often only serves as a step toward weaning. Docs ARE NOT trained in BFing. Speak to an IBCLC if you need to. What is going on? Dirty diapers count as two. Anything soaked (more than 4 tablespoons) equals 2.

• MonicaV1982
    December 31, 2012 at 7:36 PM

This! Every baby is different and takes different amounts in different amounts of time.

Quoting melindabelcher:

I would never be bothered to do all that. Soynds like dr isnt to knowledgeable in bf. Set out 6diapers if you use them all, all is well.
    Time at breast really doesnt tell you anything.

• tabi_cat1023
    December 31, 2012 at 7:37 PM

WHY in the world does the ped have you being so OCD? to drive you nuts?

He has the perfect number of wets and sounds great.

It doesnt matter how long baby nurses on each side or what time honestly, all that will drive you BONKERS

• justone_jen
    Jen
    December 31, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    Count diapers, not feedings. You need six per day from here on out, poop counts as two. Continue to feed on demand for as long as baby wants :)
  • shortyali
    December 31, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    This. I even drove the hospital nuts cause I didn't count in that stupid paper they wanted all the time. Is there a reason that you have to do this?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

It doesnt matter how long baby nurses on each side or what time honestly, all that will drive you BONKERS

• KylersMom8-16-7
    December 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    You're doing perfect! Your doctor giving you "homework" is ridiculous though.
  • gdiamante
    December 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Quoting arigdon4:

DS's pedi wants me to keep a chart of feedings

Don't bother doing that. Really. Don't. He's just giving you busywork. The dipes are all that matters.

and diapers for the next two weeks. Here is what we've done so far today...how are we doing? (the "day" starts at midnight)

2:06A, Left-8min, Right-6min

5:25A Left-35min (we fell asleep), Right-none, Wet-2 (1 soked diaper), Dirty-1

7:25A Left-none, Right-10min

8:30A Wet-1

9:45A Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

11:45A Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

12:45P Dirty-1

2:55P Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

6:30P Left-10min, Right-7min, Wet-1, Dirty-1

Total he has had 7 wet and 3 dirty. He is 5 days old today....how are we doing??

MORE than excellent. He passed the necessary amount, which was only 5 dipes today.

Is he getting enough to eat? am I doing alright (I feed on demand rather than schedule) and is he making enough diapers? Please keep in mind there are still 4 and a half hours left of the day left.

The ONLY thing that counts. Since your doc doesn't know this, I suggest a new doc be one of your new yea'rs resolutions.

You should know, pediatricians are often the most dangerous people a newborn can meet because they DON"T KNOW so much!

You're perfect. Change nothing but your doctor. No more timing feeds. Smash your clocks.

• arigdon4
    December 31, 2012 at 7:45 PM

IDK why, but they gave me 2 weeks worth of this chart to use so I have been...

Quoting shortyali:

This. I even drove the hospital nuts cause I didn't count in that stupid paper they wanted all the time. Is there a reason that you have to do this?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Breastfeeding Moms