Breastfeeding Moms

3grls1wildboy
how may bottles should a 6 week old get at daycare in 8hr day
December 31, 2012 at 12:38 PM

anyone else go back to wor an d still ebf ??

Replies

• K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    December 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

One of the frequently asked questions of breastfeeding is “How much milk should I leave my baby while we are separated?”

The answers that I’ve seen vary. The answer that I subscribe to is “The One Ounce Per Hour Rule”.  (Which could be better described as the 1-1.25oz/hour rule).

The one ounce per hour rule is based on the average daily requirements of a breastfed infant who will take in 25oz/day of milk. (This does not vary much between one and six months). While amounts might be more or less during exclusive pumping / bottle feeding, the “One Ounce Per Hour” rule is considered the standard for shorter periods of mother and infant separation.

This method is the “breastfeeding friendly” method that is most likely to lead to longer term breastfeeding success. Other methods that allow on-demand feeding from bottles or that follow amount guidelines for formula fed babies often lead to supply decrease and early weaning or supplementation of non-human milk.

I’ve heard a lot of moms say that they are anxious about the one-ounce-per-hour rule of feeding a breastfed infant while separated from mom. I understand it. I was anxious as a new mom, too, and wanted to leave MORE than my baby needed because it hurt to leave him and I wanted to make sure he would be happy and satisfied while I was away.

The thing is.. It’s not starving your baby and it’s not letting your baby go hungry. It’s something your baby is already used to. The supply in your breasts is not static. It goes up and down across the day. Your baby is already used to this.

Your baby eats the same amount each day between one month and when solids are introduced. (A bit more during growth spurts- but this should happen at mom’s breast, since her supply has to scale.) This amount for breastfed babies averages out to 25oz/day with some babies eating as little as 19oz/day. Your supply is not static across the day, it increases and decreases across the day, so baby learns to nurse more during high supply hours, and less during low supply hours (which are typically in the evening)

What the one ounce per hour rule does is it encourages baby to view the bottle feeds as “low supply”, and mom-feeds as “high supply” and baby nurses more with mom and less with the bottle. Baby’s needs are met, not exceeded. More than one ounce per hour means baby finds bottle = high supply, breast = low supply, and starts fussing for more bottle, less mom. This means mom is stuck pumping HUGE amounts of milk.

This causes problems because the pump is ineffective. It’s like trying to siphon water out of a well with a drinking straw. It’s tedious, it’s boring, it’s a pain in the butt. Mom’s breasts let down easily to an eager baby, and noooot so well to a pump. 1-2oz per pumping session is actually EXCELLENT output. If baby is downing 2oz/hour or more than one ounce/hour? Mom would have to pump constantly at work to make up for it.

Better to convince baby that the bottle has a rotten supply and that it’s easier to gorge off mom. Easier on mom, easy enough on baby, and baby’s needs are more than met with the ounce per hour.

Sources: Average Intake of Breastmilk (Kellymom)

*** Important caveat: As with all “rules” there are exceptions. If mom and baby are routinely separated from each other during ALL of the highest supply hours of mom’s day and are only together briefly, the one ounce per hour rule might not work and baby may need more frequent feedings during separation. View the rule as a guideline and as a possible warning sign that your caregiver is overfeeding the baby or giving bottles that are too large/too frequent. It may not be the amount that is a problem but the bottle size. Maybe baby will do better with more frequent 2oz bottles. Maybe your pumping sessions need to be longer or more frequent in order to get milk of the right composition for what baby needs while separated. Never follow ANY rule that doesn’t work for your child.

• melindabelcher
    mel
    December 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    4 2oz bottles. They should feed 2oz every 2hrs
  • audmom1218
    December 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    ^^ what they said. And that amount will never change.
  • 3grls1wildboy
    December 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

thanks ..anyone still ebf and work  does baby still want you over bottle??

• shortyali
    December 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    Yes. Eventually my DD decided she didn't want the bottles and waited for me. I have a feeling that's how DS2 will be. He's not a fan of a bottle. My DH tried giving him one once when I was our Christmas shopping and it took him an hr and half to drink 2 ozs.

Quoting 3grls1wildboy:

• MaryJarrett
    December 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Yep. Well, I went straight to a sippy instead of a bottle but yes, baby still wanted me more. You are the feast and bottle is the famine. You are the soft, warm, good smelling, comfort, bottle is not so much.

Quoting 3grls1wildboy:

• preacherskid
    December 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Quoting 3grls1wildboy:

EBF for six to seven months.  Our first we did have a nipple preference issue, switched to a sippy then and there (she was eight months).  Odd nursed to twenty months.  Ydd still nursing at two years, I still work ft, and thankfully we had zero preference issues.  I stopped pumping at eighteen months with ydd because I was tired of it.  Nursing and working is TOTALLY possible!

• audmom1218
    December 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    Yup. We're at 12.5 mo and once we started following the rules she prefers me. She definitely had a bottle preference when my inlaws were feeding 6oz every 3hrs.
  • melindabelcher
    mel
    December 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    Yes. The biggest thing is absolutely no bottles while your home. no need to introduce a bottle just hand baby and bottle to daycare and go to work.
  • maggiemom2000
    December 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

From http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/returning-to-work-breastfeeding-mothers.html

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

Offering smaller bottles, of no more than 2-4 ounces, means there is a smaller chance that your baby will not finish his bottle and leave milk that must be thrown away by licensed daycares. 
    How should I store the milk I pump at work? Do I put it all in the freezer?

In order for your baby to get the most anti-infective properties from your milk, it is best to offer it fresh whenever possible. Freezing has been found to denature some of the antibodies and kill some of the living cells in milk (Orlando, 2006; Buckley & Charles, 2006). Whether fresh or frozen, your milk provides all the nutrition your baby needs, and you can count on your milk to support your baby in all areas of growth and development.

Here is a schedule many working mothers recommend for using frozen milk. With this system, your baby gets more fresh milk and therefore the best possible nutrition and immune factors to protect him from illness:

• Pump on Monday; give this milk to your babysitter to use on Tuesday.
    • Pump on Tuesday; use this milk on Wednesday and so on until Friday.
    • Pump on Friday, label with the date, and freeze this milk; put it in the back of the freezer.
    • Use the oldest milk in the freezer for Monday.
    • Use your freezer stash only when you have an unusual need for extra milk, for example, when your baby is going through a growth spurt or you accidentally spill all of your freshly-pumped milk.
    This system prevents the frozen milk from getting too old and needing to be thrown out. Another option would be to refrigerate Friday’s milk over the weekend and let your babysitter use it on Monday. This practice would preserve more of the antibodies in Friday’s milk but would not use up your frozen milk before it goes out of date.

What if my baby’s caregiver says my baby needs more milk?

With bottle-feeding, there can be a tendency for the person feeding to encourage the baby to finish the bottle. Milk flows easily from a bottle nipple, even when the baby is not actively sucking, and the faster flow can cause a baby to continue feeding after he is full. Caregivers may believe that a baby needs more milk than he actually does, and many childcare workers are accustomed to the larger amounts of formula they feed many babies. Make sure that your caregiver has the correct information about how much breastmilk a baby needs and understands the difference between bottle-feeding breastmilk and formula. 

You can offer some tips to your baby’s caregiver on how to bottle feed in a way that supports breastfeeding:
    • Use a slow-flow soft bottle nipple that has a wide base and a shorter, round nipple (not the flatter, orthodontic kind).
    • Start by resting the tip of the nipple on the baby's upper lip and allow him to take it into his mouth himself, as if he were nursing.
    • Keep the bottle only slightly tilted, with the baby in a more upright position, so he has to work to get the milk out. If you hold the bottle straight down, the milk will come out too fast, and he may feel overwhelmed by the flow (Kassing, 2002).

Breastfeeding Moms