Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Shygirl951
quick q
December 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM
My son has reflux and has episode where hebspits up the majority of what he takes in. After that he is hungry again and wants to nurse. Is it bad if I keep nursing him and he keeps spitting it up?

Replies

• shortyali
    December 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    No but try reclining back and nurse him over your breast. This helps slow the milk down and makes it easier to keep in his belly.
  • melindabelcher
    mel
    December 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    continue to nurse on demand.
    Look up oversupply/overactive letdown see if that applies. If not consider taking him to a chiropractor and/or eliminating all dairy out of your diet.
  • aehanrahan
    December 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    What they said. ^^^
  • maggiemom2000
    December 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM

How old is baby?

Tel me about his weight gain? (a weight history would really help!)

Have you ruled out oversupply as a cause or contributing factor?

When a mother has more milk than her baby can handle, the following behaviors may be common:

• Baby cries a lot, and is often very irritable and/or restless
    • Baby may sometimes gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast
    • Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding
    • Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding
    • Mother may have sore nipples
    • Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming
    • Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off
    • Feedings may be short, lasting only 5 or 10 minutes total
    • Baby may seem to have a "love-hate" relationship with the breast
    • Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot
    • Baby may have green, watery or foamy, explosive stools
    • Mother's breasts feel very full most of the time
    • Mother may have frequent plugged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis (breast infection)

If many of these experiences seem familiar to you, it may be because you have an overabundant supply of milk, which can cause a forceful milk ejection (sometimes referred to as overactive let-down), and/or foremilk-hindmilk imbalance.[1][2] The infant behaviors described above are caused by these issues but may frequently be misdiagnosed as colic, lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, reflux, or hypertonicity (stiff muscle tone).

• Shygirl951
    December 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    He has been gaining an ounce and a half a day up until this week were it has went back down to the normal ounce. He is 4 weeks tomorrow. I don't think I have an oversupply he didn't do any of those besides the gassy part and gets fussy after feedings. I do leak a lot tho
  • sleepymommy87
    December 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    You could have overactive letdown. Especially if you're leaking a lot, baby is probably getting a full force letdown. Try laying him on top of you to nurse. I went through that, and it got better as my supply regulated.
  • heathercm26
    December 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    Its ok. Babys spit up and it is very normal. He has to get used to the feeling of being full. He also may benefit from sitting up in a bouncer after feeding for about half an hour because the pyloric sphincter is under developed. Just in a bouncer which just has the upper body slightly elevated.
  • cabrandy03
    December 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I'm glad to see you found your way over to this group  :)  These ladies are an excellent resouce and support group for breastfeeding moms.

• collinsmommy0
    December 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    That indicates an oversupply - that is HUGE weight gain!

Quoting Shygirl951:

He has been gaining an ounce and a half a day up until this week were it has went back down to the normal ounce. He is 4 weeks tomorrow. I don't think I have an oversupply he didn't do any of those besides the gassy part and gets fussy after feedings. I do leak a lot tho
  • JaxMomma78
    December 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    Gassy and fussy after feedings is an indicator of over supply and over active let down. Look on kellymom.com for ways to help.

Quoting Shygirl951:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts