Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
SuperMom2433
I need legal info on breastfed babies and custody battles in the state of Colorado!
December 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM
My sil is going thru a custody battle with her 3 month old son. He's exclusively breastfed and will not take a bottle. The courts issued the father to Sat 6pm to Sun 6pm. Then Monday 6pm to Tuesday 6pm. This doesn't seem right. I can't seem to find any legal info about this.

Replies

• ncoates04
    December 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM
    She will need to pump and provide milk for baby...baby WILL take a bottle when hungry....you will not find laws that discourage a paternal relationship simply because mom is breastfeeding.
  • SuperMom2433
    December 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM
    What if she can't pump?

Quoting ncoates04:

She will need to pump and provide milk for baby...baby WILL take a bottle when hungry....you will not find laws that discourage a paternal relationship simply because mom is breastfeeding.

• larissalarie
    December 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    I'm surprised overnights were awarded for an infant so young, breastfed or not. I live in Colorado and am in the process of divorcing and everything I know encourages frequent regular contact, but not overnight visits for the youngest since it's too disruptive.

However we agree on all the child custody stuff, so there's no fight.
  • larissalarie
    December 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM
    There's a HUGE difference between "discouraging a paternal relationship" and not letting a practically newborn have 2 overnights a week..especially a breastfed infant. Dad can have a perfectly meaningful relationship with frequent shorter visits.

Quoting ncoates04:

• SuperMom2433
    December 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    That's what surprised me. I figured they would give the father days throughout the week but not overnights. Sil is freaking out because she can't pump anything and baby won't take a bottle. I guess he's colicky and his mom is the only one that can calm him.

I live 3 hours away so I am not sure how much truth is in all of this.

Quoting larissalarie:

I'm surprised overnights were awarded for an infant so young, breastfed or not. I live in Colorado and am in the process of divorcing and everything I know encourages frequent regular contact, but not overnight visits for the youngest since it's too disruptive.

• ncoates04
    December 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    Then she will need to accept the fact that baby will be getting formula....unless she can have a medical expert testify that she has tried every avenue possible and that the baby has severe medical issues and must only have breastmilk then she will have to accept that she is not in an intact relationship and the situation is not lifes ideal situation....in a divorce/seperated situation sacrifices need to be made. and the courts seldomly will punish a father/ restrict access simply due to breastfeeding

A medical expert is VERy unlikly to testify to the restrictions unless of course the baby is very sick

Some people say it sucks..but honestly a father has everyright to bond with his child in the early months as does mom
  • soulofsunmama
    December 8, 2012 at 12:06 AM
    Absolutely agree.
    And op there must be something missed I hope?
    Does she have a good lawyer?
    Maybe contact La Leche League?

Quoting larissalarie:

There's a HUGE difference between "discouraging a paternal relationship" and not letting a practically newborn have 2 overnights a week..especially a breastfed infant. Dad can have a perfectly meaningful relationship with frequent shorter visits.

Quoting ncoates04:

• larissalarie
    December 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM
    It'll suck if it ruins breastfeeding for them :-\ But if it's court ordered she can't do much. Hopefully Dad will get fed up with the cranky baby and that'll be the end of the overnights.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

That's what surprised me. I figured they would give the father days throughout the week but not overnights. Sil is freaking out because she can't pump anything and baby won't take a bottle. I guess he's colicky and his mom is the only one that can calm him.

Quoting larissalarie:

• soulofsunmama
    December 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM
    What a selfish ahole father to even agree to this:(
    Breaks my heart for mama and baby:(

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Quoting larissalarie:

• soulofsunmama
    December 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM
    This is just so off it makes my head ring!

I don't agree at all.

Quoting ncoates04:

Then she will need to accept the fact that baby will be getting formula....unless she can have a medical expert testify that she has tried every avenue possible and that the baby has severe medical issues and must only have breastmilk then she will have to accept that she is not in an intact relationship and the situation is not lifes ideal situation....in a divorce/seperated situation sacrifices need to be made. and the courts seldomly will punish a father/ restrict access simply due to breastfeeding

A medical expert is VERy unlikly to testify to the restrictions unless of course the baby is very sick

Some people say it sucks..but honestly a father has everyright to bond with his child in the early months as does mom

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts