Breastfeeding Moms

TaralynnStewart
Poop problems.
November 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Stella my EBF almost 11mth old is clearly having issues using the bathroom. She has been VERY cranky, will sit on the floor and act and "look" like she's using the bathroom, but there's nothing. Also when I pick her up her legs go straight out and she won't relax them. She has had very little poop, does not even leave her butt to the diaper. Is there anything I can give her to help her get things moving?

Replies

• Eliots_momma
    November 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    Bm is a great laxative. Maybe try pears and cut out any starchy, bready, constipating foods...
  • K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    November 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM

canned mandarin oranges, p-fruits (peaches, pears, plums, prunes), grapes, cherries, increased nursing, diluted apple juice, diluted prune juice, lots of movement (crawling, walking, whatever you can get her to do)

• soulofsunmama
    November 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Around this age, we went many times (over a 5-6 month period) where he wouldn't go for easily 8-10 days at a time, once it was 21.
    Bm, and cutting out any constipating stuff helped, started and still mix prunes, pears, plums, peas, or sometimes just a little applejuice in his oatmeal every morning.
    It's gotten better, but not fixed.
    Also, at least with him it helps when he's in the pain to pick him up and walk outside. I know it sounds weird, but sometimes the distraction is just what he needs to forget about the discomfort some, and he can just go without thinking about it.
    Hope it gets better!
  • aehanrahan
    November 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    How much is she wetting? Is she passing gas? Cutting out constipating foods is a good idea. I also suggest decreasing solids and nursing more. Your milk is a natural laxative.
  • TaralynnStewart
    November 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    Pee diapers are normal and she's not passing gas, but looks like she's straining too. She does not eat much solids at all and nurses on demand.
    Should I just keep nursing and hopefully it will help?

Quoting aehanrahan:

How much is she wetting? Is she passing gas? Cutting out constipating foods is a good idea. I also suggest decreasing solids and nursing more. Your milk is a natural laxative.

• mamabens
    November 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

This

Quoting aehanrahan:

• aehanrahan
    November 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    Good. The wetting means she's not constipated. She SHOULD be passing gas, though. I would eliminate all solids for a few days and just nurse. Offer more often even.
    Once she's doing better, try a bit of solids again and watch her. She may not be ready to digest solids just yet.
    Quoting TaralynnStewart:

Pee diapers are normal and she's not passing gas, but looks like she's straining too. She does not eat much solids at all and nurses on demand.

Should I just keep nursing and hopefully it will help?

Quoting aehanrahan:

• mostlymaydays
    November 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

WHen my kids had trouble pooping, I backed off solids all together and nursed like a crazy person. All 4 of my babies would only poop when they were standing up, at least from 8 or 9 months, when they could pull up to stand. Prior to that, it was a joke that they only pooped in the "magic" Bumbo seat! To this day, 2 of my kids (now 3 and 9) aren't happy poopers. Mandarin oranges seem to blow the chutes clean. It's ironic that traditional "baby's first foods" are bananas, rice cereal and applesauce, as those are horribly constipating, and the BRA part of the BRAT diet for easing diarrhea (toast being that missing T, though I did give my kids toast, too. Duh me)

Breastfeeding Moms