Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
belzaan
Nursing Strike!
by belzaan
November 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Hi fellow breastfeeding moms. I am new here and am desperately needing advice. I have 10 month old twin girls and I am still breast feeding them. They have had times when they were too distracted to nurse but they have never refused to nurse entirely before. The last few weeks they have both actually been really into nursing and wanting to "camp out" at the breast especially at the last feed before they go to bed. Yesterday morning one of my babies decided to go on a nursing strike? So frustrating! She is so thirsty, but refused to nurse the whole day yesterday and now last night and this morning too. Have been giving her water in a sippy cup and now have started pumping to keep my milk up and so that she has milk. She just drank a bottle of breastmilk fine bit wont drink from me. Any advice?

Replies

• LKRA
    by LKRA
    November 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Just roll with it. Keep offering (always before solids) and she'll come around.

• junebaby11
    November 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    A girl i go to group with had that happen but that twin quit breastfeeding and the other is still going
  • gdiamante
    November 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM

The link here is the go-to for nursing strikes: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

• belzaan
    by belzaan
    November 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

The link here is the go-to for nursing strikes: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Thanks for the link :)

• collinsmommy0
    November 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    I wouldn't offer a bottle to be honest.
    SHe may be teething or have an ear infection. Just keep offering! Hylands teething tablets help DS when he is teething - she will go back to nursing, don't worry.
    Also I wouldn't really worry about supply at this point - if she doesn't nurse for a few days then goes back to all the time your supply will adjust, especially after nursing for 10 months!
  • aehanrahan
    November 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    I completely agree with this.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

SHe may be teething or have an ear infection. Just keep offering! Hylands teething tablets help DS when he is teething - she will go back to nursing, don't worry.

Also I wouldn't really worry about supply at this point - if she doesn't nurse for a few days then goes back to all the time your supply will adjust, especially after nursing for 10 months!
  • jjchick75
    November 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

This!

Quoting collinsmommy0:

• MayFlowerMomma
    November 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

The one is probably asserting her independence. Not a huge deal if she is taking BM in a bottle.

• belzaan
    by belzaan
    November 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Thanks ladies. I switched to a sippy cup for the rest of the day. I can tell she is getting desperate to bf, but is still being stubborn about. Hopefully she'll give in tomorrow.
  • catholicmamamia
    November 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Quoting LKRA: Just roll with it. Keep offering (always before solids) and she'll come around.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN