Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
MumB
Pediatrician tells me to stop nursing every visit!!
by MumB
November 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM
She encourages cows milk everytime I take my son in and almost looks down on me cuz I'm still nursing...it's like look I know he is 14 months old but he LOVES his boobs!!... I have recently heard how bad cows milk is and I'm hesitant to try it... And why should I..so the question is...do I switch peds

Replies

• PolishMamma2
    November 19, 2012 at 9:09 AM

yeah next time you go in be Donald Trump,, ( Your Fired! ) ; )

• jandra
    by jandra
    November 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    That's what ours said too,i just said ok.my daughter is 14 months and she is still enjoying her breastfeedings :)

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

My pediatrician told me my milk loses calories after 12 months, I just nodded and smiled. I don't follow his feeding advice but he's a wonderful pediatrician otherwise and my boys love him. My youngest is 14 months:-)
  • piwife
    by piwife
    November 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    With my first I did cow milk at 14 mts( she was bf for 4 mts then formula) found out when she was 2 she had a slight allergy so we stopped. Ds was bf for a year and then I did almond milk and when he was 2 1/2 I started doing cow milk. I only allow him to have one serving a day maybe two and not everyday. My new nursling is 6 mts I plan to introduce cow milk around 2-3yrs old
  • cassdw
    by cassdw
    November 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Pediatricians who do this at 1 year do so usually because they are afraid your baby isn't getting enough vitamin D (because of ricketts).  If you take vitamin D (or drink fortified milk) and give a vitamin D supplement to baby, then the ped shouldn't be trying to push the cow's milk.  If you reassure her that lo is getting vitamin D she should stop...otherwise, I would change pediatricians.  I would make sure I let her know why you are changing or why you are considering changing, so she understands that you are serious about giving your baby what nature intended; make her justify herself.

• MayFlowerMomma
    November 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Yeah he prob hasn't been keeping up with breastfeeding and isn't informed. I'd inform him next time and say that this is what you have decided and youd appreciate it if he didn't try to push his beliefs on you

• divinedimension
    November 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    That pedi is dumber than a pile of bricks...fire her!
  • soulofsunmama
    November 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    Yep, I'd switch.
    Mine is almost 15 months, and my pedi never would say anything like that to.me:(
  • MommyO2-6631
    November 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    YES!!! Tell her your baby is human not cow thank you and then tell her to send his chart to his NEW breastfeeding friendly doc :)
  • TTC2Long
    November 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    If a person is exposed to direct sunlight for 20 minutes a day, 3x/week, no vit d supplement is needed. Also, the body stores excess vit D to use during the dark winter months. Pretty neat, huh? :)

Quoting cassdw:

Pediatricians who do this at 1 year do so usually because they are afraid your baby isn't getting enough vitamin D (because of ricketts).  If you take vitamin D (or drink fortified milk) and give a vitamin D supplement to baby, then the ped shouldn't be trying to push the cow's milk.  If you reassure her that lo is getting vitamin D she should stop...otherwise, I would change pediatricians.  I would make sure I let her know why you are changing or why you are considering changing, so she understands that you are serious about giving your baby what nature intended; make her justify herself.

• tabi_cat1023
    November 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    I would say your blatant disregard of the recommendations of who and ignorance of bfing information concerns me. If you are giving such bad advice on such impotant info then i dont know if i can trust your medical advice.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts