Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Moogie1005
11 month old granddaughter has UTI. :-( Strangely not OT
October 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

My DS has a DD with my neighbor's daughter (AD for short).  We live in GA.  DS & DIL live in OH.  AD took GD to visit DS and DIL last Wednesday.  GD got a fever Wednesday night.  DIL called Pedi and got her in Friday.  DIL told him about symptoms including strong urine smell.  Dr checks GD & says virus, keep her fever down & hydrated.  Bring her back next week if she's not better.

Last night fever spikes to 102.8  DIL takes her back thinking ear infection.  DS had them frequently as a child.  Pedi checks ears, nose, & throat.  All are fine.  When he touches her neck, GD cries.  Pedi calls for DS to come to office & starts checking for meningitis.  Meanwhile, GD pees and odor is off the charts.  Pedi checks diaper area and finds discharge in her privates.  They find bacterial UTI.  Pedi says GD must stay with them until she is fever free without meds for 48 hours.  GD was supposed to come back tomorrow.  :-(

Pedi wants them limit her BM intake, citing BM as the possible cause.  He says that if AD drinks lots of caffeinated/sweet drinks, it can cause the UTI.  He also suggested poor bathing habits, letting GD sit in a dirty diaper, or wiping wrong.  Thing is none of these apply.  AD drinks mostly decaf, lightly sweetened tea (I make) or water.  She spends a lot of time at our house.  GD is changed and bathed frequently.  We are all stumped on how GD would have gotten this UTI.  He did ask questions about sexual abuse, but remarked he only asked because he is required to.  GD shows no signs of sexual abuse.

Has anyone ever heard of a BF baby getting a UTI from "bad" BM?   Wouldn't they want to increase her BM intake to make use of the antibodies?  Also, BM is all GD has wanted.

Replies

• Titana
    by Titana
    October 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    I had uti's and kidney infections from the time I was 3months old and up. My mother ebf me and never stopped so I have no idea. Sometimes, as we all know, doctors have no idea what they are saying. My mom never drank and still doesn't take in caffeine or carbonation. At the age of 16 I found out my one kidney just doesn't work for whatever reason which over works the other and causes infections. Also, my urethra is apparently VERY tiny and much smaller than normal. Maybe as she gets older they will find a cause or maybe she is just prone to them.
    Best of luck!!
  • Moogie1005
    October 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Drs are human and it is common knowledge that they don't get adequate education regarding lactation.  I am disinclined to believe the BM theory based on my own personal research.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

I dont' think her mother should stop breastfeeding, because if she's not drinking causes of UTI's then her milk is not the cause. Babies get UTI's, it happens. Is she taking bubble baths? Bubble baths are fun, but not good for little girls because of UTIs. My niece has to take showers only now because of it. All that being said: If a doctor said BM CAN be a cause of UTIs, then it can. Cafemom is not a doctor, do not let BF'ing champions tell you that a doctor that has been practicing for years is wrong. That doesn't mean that the BM IS the cause, but the fact that it's a possibility does exist. Geez.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts