Breastfeeding Moms

Lorraine2674
Nursing with baby sitting up??
October 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM

My 6 mo old has an ear infection, well both ears are infected.. Anyway, his dr told me he needs to eat sitting up because the milk just runs back in to his ears... I've never heard of this... 

Anyone hear of this or been told this before?  

Thanks Ladies 

Replies

• Tuzyae
    by Tuzyae
    October 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    My oldest had fluid that wouldn't drain properly and suffered a few infections with ruptured ear drums. Not fun. He was exclusively nursed for six mo. and continued to nurse until 17 mo. He had tubes placed at 12 mo. I was never told anything about nursing while sitting up, though he did this a fair amount regardless - just whenever it worked out that way.

A few things about some alternative treatments. Breast milk can help with an ear infection, but won't do much unless the infection is an outer ear infection (which is not in most cases) or if the ear drum is ruptured. If it is a middle ear infection and the ear drum is intact, the Breastmilk will not be able to access the infection to help it. Chiropractors MAY help, but it's not guaranteed, and you may end up spending more money than necessary. Babies tend to have Eustachian tubes that run slightly perpendicular to the ground. That means that fluid that gets in there doesn't always drain well. As kids grow up, the Eustachian tube grows to more of an angle facilitating draining which is why most kids grow out of ear infections. Chiropractors may be able to help the fluid drain more easily, but only time will alter the position of the Eustachian tubes "permanently." That being said, this type of treatment is only effective if difficulty draining fluid is the cause of the ear infections. Other causes may not be helped or affected by chiropractic adjustments.
  • K8wizzo
    by K8wizzo
    October 9, 2012 at 11:57 PM

This, though nursing upright can make baby more comfortable DURING an infection.  Follow baby's cues. :)  Tylenol or motrin 30 min before nursing and bedtime for the first 2-3 days of an infection can help as well.  My boys have put us through the ear infection ringer here--21 infections, 1 complication that required hospitalization, and 6 ear surgeries between the two of them.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

That is for bottle feeding formula. That info does not apply to nursing.

• Lorraine2674
    October 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM
    Wow... That's crazy! I'm having a hard enough time with this little guy. :-) thanks for the info!

Quoting K8wizzo:

This, though nursing upright can make baby more comfortable DURING an infection.  Follow baby's cues. :)  Tylenol or motrin 30 min before nursing and bedtime for the first 2-3 days of an infection can help as well.  My boys have put us through the ear infection ringer here--21 infections, 1 complication that required hospitalization, and 6 ear surgeries between the two of them.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

That is for bottle feeding formula. That info does not apply to nursing.

• Lorraine2674
    October 10, 2012 at 2:08 AM
    That certainly explains why some kids have constant ear infections but not as many as they grow up .. Great information! Thanks

Quoting Tuzyae:

My oldest had fluid that wouldn't drain properly and suffered a few infections with ruptured ear drums. Not fun. He was exclusively nursed for six mo. and continued to nurse until 17 mo. He had tubes placed at 12 mo. I was never told anything about nursing while sitting up, though he did this a fair amount regardless - just whenever it worked out that way.

A few things about some alternative treatments. Breast milk can help with an ear infection, but won't do much unless the infection is an outer ear infection (which is not in most cases) or if the ear drum is ruptured. If it is a middle ear infection and the ear drum is intact, the Breastmilk will not be able to access the infection to help it. Chiropractors MAY help, but it's not guaranteed, and you may end up spending more money than necessary. Babies tend to have Eustachian tubes that run slightly perpendicular to the ground. That means that fluid that gets in there doesn't always drain well. As kids grow up, the Eustachian tube grows to more of an angle facilitating draining which is why most kids grow out of ear infections. Chiropractors may be able to help the fluid drain more easily, but only time will alter the position of the Eustachian tubes "permanently." That being said, this type of treatment is only effective if difficulty draining fluid is the cause of the ear infections. Other causes may not be helped or affected by chiropractic adjustments.

• gdiamante
    October 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Sitting up is a commonly used position for overactive letdown. Just have baby straddle your lap.

You can also lean back and lay baby tummy to tummy on top of you.

I used these nursing positions and virtually never acorss the lap under the breast.

• R3G1N4_L0V3
    October 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Thats what I thought! BF is the best thing ever =)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Formula/cow's milk/other liquids in the ear can cause an ear infection/discomfort.

Breast milk in the ear can *cure* ear infections/discomfort. It contains antibodies to fight infections.

Quoting R3G1N4_L0V3:

I never heard about actually nursing sitting up but I have heard that milk going into the ear can in fact cause an ear infection. Another mom/friend told me to just keep the baby on a slight incline to help prevent that from happening.

Breastfeeding Moms